Up until recently, it’s been unseasonably temperate across a lot of the country thus far. But now that the cold has set in, are you ready? Here are five of our favorite ways to get toasty.
1) A warm throw. I love to pick a pretty one so that I can simply throw it over the back of my sofa and wrap up in it when needed. A reversible one like the Hugo from Area is a great choice, because it gives you two different looks.
2) A cozier lighting scheme. Adding lamps to side tables, desks, mantels, countertops and other ready surfaces is a great way to make your home feel warmer on cold dark nights. If you’re shopping your house to switch things up for winter, try swapping lamps from different rooms around, and make sure the room where you spend the most time has a homey lighting scheme. My favorite is to keep a small table lamp on my kitchen counter — I never want to flick on all those bright overheads when I pop in for a quick snack break on movie night.
3) Keep a hot beverage station at the ready. Whatever your poison — cappuccino, chai, cocoa, cognac — make it easy to prep a hot toddy. Corral all your supplies in one place near the kettle or coffee machine — cups, saucers, teabags, sugar, mini marshmallows and whatever else you’ll need to prepare your favorite hot drinks.
4) Add warm layers on the floor. Bare feet on a cold tile floor are never a great combination. Make sure you’ve got something soft next to your bed for those first few steps when you rise, add a flat-weave or Oriental rug to your bathroom floor, perhaps bring an area rug into a room that’s usually bare-floored.
5) Bring in a relaxing scent. Stuff like shoveling snow and black ice are stressful. Unwind with scents like eucalyptus, peppermint, spruce or lavender.
How do you cozy up for winter at home? Let us know your favorite ways.