Modcloth.com has featured some great vintage dorm rooms
Ah, many people I know are heading off to college this week. By now, you may have gotten a glimpse of the abysmal dorm room furniture and lack of personality in the room. While you or your college kiddo may already have the basics – bedding, shower shoes, bathroom caddy, shoe rack, there may be quite a few items you didn’t realize you could squeeze in there or they may discover they want after settling in a little bit. Here are a few ways to help make the room your own.
1. Customize your bed. Often times, your bed serves as your sofa, your chair, your desk. Fill it up with extra throw pillows to prop up and/or create more of a daybed when you’re not sleeping in it. Add an OFFI overlap tray for doing a little work on your lap. Also, add a rug, even a tiny 2×3 one, so you can step onto something soft in the morning and give them a little wipe off before hopping into bed.
2. Create a better lighting scheme. Overhead light is such a bummer. Gain some softer light and versatility with a desk lamp. We love the modern lines and metallic finish on the Flos Archimoon K Lamp.
3. Gain some comfy seating beyond the bed. We love all of the fun colors offered up by the Fatboy Original. It’s the ultimate bean bag; you can actually sit upright in it if you choose.
4. Add a small side table. By now, you may realize that a desk somewhere behind that weird headboard is not the best place for your water glass, glasses, book or other stuff next to your bed we won’t mention here. Grab a portable table like this snazzy little number that also serves as a tray. This is a piece you’ll take to every home you live in for the rest of your life; but if you’re short on dough, those milk crates will do. Shop all side tables/nightstands
5. Wake up! You can add great design detail via a happy colored clock that is also a dock for your iPhone.
6. Keep charged. In addition to your clock dock, you’ll want to keep your tech accessories in order. I like to keep juiced up with the Blu Dot Juice Box Digital Dock.
7. Protect your electronics. Thomas Paul’s clever Composition Book iPad Envelope cracks me up. Shop all personal accessories
Dorm Room Help