Are you one of those people who actually feels like most of your decorating is done and you’re Jonesing for another project? Look to the laundry room. These utilitarian closets are usually quite neglected and dreadfully dull. Stuck with some boring, 15 year old appliances? Don’t think for a second you need shiny red front loaders to have a cool looking laundry space. Here’s a look at some easy ways to make your laundry room wow.
1. Put up wallpaper. Nothing livens up a wall like a bold pattern. While wallpaper can be costly, the good news is, your small laundry room probably wont require much of it. I love the way interior designer Tamara Magel took the paper right up the slanted ceiling.
2. Add a backsplash. Again, the small amount you’ll need will mean you won’t need to order much tile. What I especially love about this room is that it’s as small as they come, taking up only the space between bi-fold doors. This metallic backsplash would make me want to keep those suckers open and show off my laundry room all the time. The hangers for air drying are also a smart touch.
3. Get a great light overhead. Who says a laundry room isn’t fancy enough for a crystal chandy? Just make sure the room is large enough to meet safety codes.
Also, are you noticing how handy a few simple cabinets come in? Hit up the Re-Store and salvage some for a bargain. You’ll have plenty of spot for your Tide, Shout, Dryel, what have you …
4. Go bold with color. If you want to avoid the expense of hiring a pro to hang wallpaper or put up tile, hit the paint store. Don’t fear not matching the rest of your home; the laundry room is one of those great spaces like a first floor powder room that you can shut off.
5. Match up some fun art with the room. Why not? Whether it’s the cute clothespin mat or the laundry line piece seen above, the laundry room is one spot where we can go a bit theme-y and not feel cheesy about it.