DP Peeps, it’s the longest day of the year. Do you know the state your patio (or deck, or balcony) is in? Are the kids still making up school days from all that snow this winter and you just haven’t gotten into the summer groove yet? Well, I’m here to tell you, it’s time to get on on it.
1. How dirty is it? Hose that sucker down, sweep it, leaf-blow if you must. Start with a clean base. Get your mulch and gravel spread out and looking good.
2. Where are you going to sit/lounge/chow down? Moving on, what is the state of your outdoor furniture? Will someone need a tetanus shot before they risk it? If so, attack it with the wire brush, steel wool and rustoleum. Wash your outdoor slipcovers and pillows. If it’s too far gone, kick it to the curb and shop. Thanks to all of our great vendors we have a wide selection of outdoor furniture styles from traditional to contemporary.
3. Is there life out there? Did frozen water crack your favorite terracotta pots? Are they full of last year’s dead plants? Order up some cool planters to accessorize the area. Today’s pots light up, can be stuck in the ground,hang from the fences … there are so many cool options.
4. Wanna throw some shade? How’s that umbrella doing? Is it moldy, faded, leaning oddly or unstable? Perk that baby up and clean it, or get a new one.
5. Ready for those cold and dark nights? Build a fire pit or buy one. It’s amazing how small and portable you can go with fire these days – it’s much easier than it was at camp. Also, be sure to light up your porch. Hurricanes are a great way to light things up with style, inexpensive cafe lights strung overhead make things starry (just make sure they are rated for outdoor use).
Cheers! You’re ready to mix up the white sangria and throw some veggie burgers on the grill (oh yes, almost forgot, make sure your stocked with charcoal or propane)!
Hi, I'm Becky. I live in Atlanta. Besides acting as the Editorial Director here on Hatch, you can find me talking design over at Houzz. Make me happy — leave a comment!