Modern Rustic is more than just a design trend, it’s a look with long lasting staying power. What is it exactly? Imagine that kooky cozy log cabin in the mountains, visualize taking all of the furniture and tchotchkes out, then put about 10% of them back in. You can always add some hot faux bois and a few more updated accessories to round out what you need . Here are some ways to get the look.
- Take a familiar shape and cast it in an unexpected material, like Erich Ginder’s Ghost Antlers (these also double as coat hangers) or Urbana Design’s Teardrop Vases.
- Use wood with a beautiful grain, but keeping modern lines
- Animal shaped pillows are eclectic and fun, and are a fresh take on typical cabin cozies
- Bring in a little camouflage, whether it’s via a big fat beanbag chair or a chic little boat tote.
- Use branches from the woods to create beautiful arrangements.
- Keep a simple color palette that lets the wood be the star. Think Scandinavian simplicity – warm wood floors, spartan decoration and white walls.
- Use table lamps, chandeliers and floor lamps to create a warm glowing lighting scene.
- Bring back cozy plaid blankets and throws paired with plain and light bedding.
Here are a few products from our site that will help you get the look:
Hi, I'm Becky. I live in Atlanta. Besides acting as the "Editorial Director" here on Hatch, you can find me spewing lots of design opinions and tips over at Houzz. Make me happy -- leave a comment!