Monday, April 18th, 2011

DP Customer Profile: Gerrit and His Inhabit Wall Flats Dining Room

Ali

Posted by Ali | View all posts by Ali
20 Comments » | Published in Customer Profiles  |  20 Comments

Gotta give Gerrit a big high five for his installation of the Inhabit Seesaw Wall Flats in his minimalist dining room. Can you imagine the room without the texture of the wall flats? I certainly can’t. No doubt, minimalism is so much better with a little bit of character. Good show, Gerrit!

Name: Gerrit

Where do you live?: Visalia, CA

What do you do?: I’m a police officer

DP purchases: Inhabit Wall Flats

Favorite DP product: Inhabit Wall Flats

How would you describe your design style? Modern/minimalist

Any design pet peeves? Tan colored walls

Favorite design ideas? What was the best advice anyone ever gave you? Less is more, just because there’s an open space (wall or floor) doesn’t mean it HAS to be filled

What was the best advice anyone ever gave you? As iron sharpens iron, so shall one man sharpen another   Proverbs 27: 17

Favorite indulgence? Pizza and ice cream

Movies you can watch over and over: Lord of the rings trilogy, Godfather, Zoolander, Wedding Crashers

What is a “dream day” like for you? Morning workout, lunch with my wife and daughter, afternoon park visit, family dinner on outside patio, movie.

Thanks, Gerrit!

I bet you are inspired. Yup, I totally called it. Here are all the Inhabit Wall Flat offerings.

About Ali:
I enjoy wood paneled station wagons, German food and senior citizens (I am 80 years old at heart). Nearly every weekend I am taking photos at other people's weddings and I have a blog of my own (but I don't update it often enough). I love to paint, sew and knit. Check out my DP Staff profile on Hatch.

About Ali

Ali has written 149 post in this blog.

Filed under Customer Profiles  |  20 Comments

1. AprilAries says:

April 19th, 2011 at 12:47 am (#)

Oh yes, I AM inspired! I recently purchased the Architecture Wall Flats to install on my fireplace surround and I can’t wait until I finish it and to be able to submit the first pics of our total, been going on for over a year now, house renovation! The only thing is, I purchased the Flats from Inhabit and not DP, so not sure if that counts for submitting photos here.
    This gorgeous dining room is lighting a fire under my behind to get movin’!

2. Ali says:

April 19th, 2011 at 1:35 pm (#)

Hey April,

We’d LOVE to see your finished product! Never hurts to inspire others. Send us photos!

Ali

3. AprilAries says:

April 20th, 2011 at 7:14 pm (#)

Thanks Ali! I’m hoping to have the Flats installed within 2 weeks and will send photos as soon as it’s complete.

4. contract interior design says:

April 21st, 2011 at 9:28 am (#)

Beautiful job. It has me thinking where I can use something like this in my own home. Thanks for sharing.

5. Ali says:

April 21st, 2011 at 9:31 am (#)

Hey Gerrit,

We have some customers with questions about your installation!

1) What primer/s did you use?
    2) Did you do the initial prime before or after installation and did you spray, brush or roll it on? If you brushed or rolled, did you have any issues with drips or puddling?
    3) Did you use joint compound to address the seams and if so, did you have any issues with pulp balling up?
    4) What type of pre-paint (second primer application) did you use? Inhabit suggests a building/leveling primer – Did you use this kind?
    I’ve been researching WF installation guides and products for over a month, but unfortunately, am having difficulty finding information that could assist with my install and I would be so grateful for any tips and suggestions!

Any answers to help a future wall flat installer out?

Thanks!

Ali

6. Gerrit says:

April 22nd, 2011 at 6:45 pm (#)

1.) No primer was used, two coats of finish paint.
    2.) WF’s were painted after being installed on the wall with a brush. Drips were common, but no more than any other paint project on a vertical surface.
    3.) Yes, “DAP” name brand, acrylic latex sealant (230 grade) for windows, doors, trim, etc.
    4.) I went with my gut feeling and I didnt use any primer. Project turned out great without it.
    EXTRA INFO– I applied a bead of liquid nails with a caulking gun on the inside edge of each wall flat then pressed it to the wall holding for a few seconds. I used a razor/utility knife to cut the tiles when I needed to.

Please dont hesitate to ask more questions if you should have any. Good Luck

April 26th, 2011 at 8:45 am (#)

Oh my god that looks AMAZING! I love your furniture and light fixture as well. Bravo!

8. AprilAries says:

April 27th, 2011 at 4:51 pm (#)

Thank you so much Ali for posting my questions and for all your helpful responses and tips Gerrit! I will be installing the Architect Flats next week and I really appreciate your generosity in answering any further questions, though hopefully, it will all go smooth and be easy enough to figure out.

Denise

9. Darcy Davidson says:

May 4th, 2011 at 9:18 am (#)

This textured wall is phenomenal! So many people forget about adding texture to create an accent wall, whether its tile or wallpaper you can create a custom look with character.

10. Wendy says:

July 3rd, 2011 at 4:09 pm (#)

Hi. Your wall looks awesome. I am thinking about doing a wall but worried about electrical outlets and the wall I am interested in also has the heat/ac controls. Did you have to do any outlet cut outs? Are the panels too thick for this? Thank!

11. Daniela says:

July 24th, 2011 at 3:28 pm (#)

Hi. Loved your wall. which kind of paint did you use to get that satin look? and also will like to know what product you use to stick them tothe wall.

12. Gerrit says:

August 23rd, 2011 at 7:25 am (#)

Wendy-
    I had two electrical outlets removed and safe wired. The flats cover the holes. The tiles are thin so if you have spaces for outlets or light switches, you’ll have an open space around them due to the tile rising off the wall.

Daniela-
    I used interior semi gloss “valspar” brand paint with a custom color choice. For application method see above post.

Good luck!

13. deepika says:

September 29th, 2011 at 2:03 pm (#)

Hi Gerrit,
    You did an amazing job with the finishing, it looks seamless and gorgeous. My husband and I have finally applied the Braille wall flats and now have to finish and paint…cant wait for the end result! The instructions recommended using a high build primer which I having a difficult time finding (Sheetrock brand) as it is mostly used by professionals and not sold at a local hardware store. But it is encouraging to see that you got such a great finish w/o a primer. We are going to give it a shot too with skipping the primer and go with maybe 2 coats of a semi gloss light gray. I am wondering if we can use rollers instead of brush…did you try using those? Thanks!
    Deepika

14. Ali says:

September 30th, 2011 at 9:35 am (#)

Deepika! Send us photos! http://www.designpublic.com/designinaction

Can’t wait to see what your walls look like!

Ali

15. Gerrit says:

October 13th, 2011 at 1:43 pm (#)

Deepika,
    I used a brush only. Rollers were not an option due to the multi angled surface. Give it a try but have some brushes available in case your rollers don’t work out. Good luck!

16. Maria says:

October 18th, 2012 at 8:16 pm (#)

Hi
    I like this idea, however, I want to know if it can be used in a bathroom, of course not the shower just the walls, and also, if I can hang hardware as the towel hangers?
    Also, which adhesive do you use?
    Maria

17. Mike Copeland says:

April 17th, 2013 at 1:19 pm (#)

Gerrit, did you caulked before you painted the first coat?
    Seems like the instructions call for you to prime then caulk then prime again.

18. Ellen says:

July 29th, 2013 at 6:37 pm (#)

Holy cow!! I LOVE that!!! Thank you for sharing all of your installation tips and for showing how wonderfully something so simple can change a room so drastically…and quickly!!! I have GOT to get that for my dining room and something along the same lines for my bedroom!!

NICELY DONE!!

19. Sue says:

September 27th, 2013 at 3:11 pm (#)

I have a wall vent and a couple of plugs that I really need to keep. Has anyone found a great way to lay the tiles without covering the outlets and vent? Almost done with my wall except for these areas.

20. Colours Apartments Budapest says:

April 24th, 2014 at 5:25 am (#)

I love it!!! It will be perfect for our apartments. I would like to try the “Hive” with gold finish…. What do you think?