Wednesday, April 13th, 2011

Premiere of Trad Home is Live

5 Comments » | Published in Design Magazines, Design Press, Design on the Web  |  5 Comments

I’m still trying to figure out what the relationship between Traditional Home and Lonny is; all I know is that it resulted in a love child. Said child is a digital magazine called Trad Home. I’m in the midst of perusing it, and it’s pretty nice. If you’ve checked it out, let me know what you think they are going for  – is it supposed to be like Traditional Home light? Do you think they would EVER feature Brad’s redecoration of Jill Zarin’s apartment that was on the cover of Traditional Home last year? Would you call it “less traditional homes”? Can you feel me biting my tongue trying not to make a comment about a certain furniture polisher with the initials E.R.? Other thoughts?.

Click here to check out the premiere issue of Trad Home.

Also, do you have a favorite online magazine? I feel like I’m still getting to know all of them, and it seems like new ones pop up daily. Right now I’m still really enjoying Lonny (which seems like the grandmother of them all – the cool grandmother) and Rue and one from Australia I found the other day  – the name escapes me at the moment. Please let us know what you’re digitally flipping through in the comments section!

Cover image by Patrick Cline. Design by Lauren Gold and Sasha Adler of Nate Berkus Design.

1. Fifthroom Living says:

April 14th, 2011 at 7:05 am (#)

I’m always excited about a new digital magazine! Bookmarked the site, and now I can’t wait to go through it.

Thanks for sharing!
    Hazel
    Fifthroom Living

April 14th, 2011 at 8:49 am (#)

Hazel, let me know what you think. I loved almost everything and everyone they featured. If I had a quibble, it’s that they keep trying to justify/redefine “traditional” as part of their branding, and it’s simply not. I don’t know if it’s to cling to their more traditionally-geared customer base and bring them on over while trying to scoop up readers who are more likely to be Domino mourners and Lonny fans or what. I loved the content but was REALLY sick of all the “traditional” talk that didn’t really make a whole lot of sense when paired with the pictures.

I really just like to look at the pictures anyway, so I don’t care, which is funny, because I’m a design writer,and I often feel like “why is anyone (including myself) bothering to describe this picture? It’s worth 1,000 words…” I guess just because it was the premiere issue that they were trying to cram this stretching of a definition of a style down our throats.

The final verdict? So worth checking out! I cannot wait to see what they do with the next issue!

3. Ali says:

April 14th, 2011 at 10:41 am (#)

Another good one to keep an eye on (more of a lifestyle magazine) is Matchbook Magazine : http://matchbookmag.com/

4. Lauren says:

May 11th, 2011 at 2:54 pm (#)

I’m LOVING this new Trad Home. Can’t wait to flip through more thoroughly!

I came across this one a few months ago. It’s a mix of decor and fashion. Looks like the issues come out every other month. If you “subscribe” you get the weekly “happenings” email, and reminders when a new issue is available.

P.S. Am I the only one that liked Jill Zarin’s place??

May 12th, 2011 at 3:55 pm (#)

Lauren, yes you are! Haha! I liked the kitchen cabinets, but I’m with Bethenny – it was Versace, Liberace…La Cucuarace…I am biased. I think JZ is such an awful person that I can’t stand anything about her. Except Bobby and Ally. They seem good. Did you see the ep when she was talking to the Traditional Home editors about riding in a “PP” (private plane)? UGH! She’s just so tacky and mean.

I love High Gloss. I actually heard about it on Chelsea Lately – one of the editors is a designer who is either her designer or a friend of hers or is married to a friend of hers or all of the above. That’s why her purse was in there. Anyway, I gave it a shout here:

Thanks for the subscription tip; I didn’t know that :)