image by flickr member Atypical Type A
So, what are you New Year’s Resolutions around the house this year? I’m sure I’ll start off all motivated and purge a bunch of stuff, make a few Salvation Army runs, clean some baseboards, get started on organizing my tax info, then run out of steam and put it off until next year. Is that how it usually goes for you? If not, how do you stay motivated? Do you have a reward system? Is your newly feng shui’ed space and extra room in the closet reward enough? Do you have bigger goals around the house?
Here are some ideas I have for staying motivated when I run out of inspiration:
1) Take another class online with Abby Garvey.
2) Re-read Unclutter Your Life in One Week by Erin Dolan (it JUST came out in Paperback this week!) For more info, click here. Oh, and you may want to give yourself a month. Erin’s a bit of a Superwoman. If you do it all in a week, go to a spa on Day 8!
3) Read blogs by big D.I.Y. peeps and get inspired by them. Flip back through Anna’s accomplishments over at Door Sixteen, or check in over at The Brick House – start way back at the beginning and take a leisurely browse. Sometimes I get so overwhelmed by all of the design blog choice out there that I don’t read any of them. It’s a real treat to sit down and really catch up on one or two for an hour.
4) Find some favorite flickr groups to flip through. Some of our favorites are our own (Fresh New Spaces), sfgirlbybay, Interior Styling, and Pretty Organized. One way to find great groups on Flickr is to find a member whose work you admire, go to his or her profile page, and see what groups they belong to. This picture from Lillian Day is motivating me to change my guest room from ballerina pink to medium gray!
5) Finally, always remember not to be too hard on yourself. Just trying to get things together is a good start, and is probably better than you were doing yesterday. Give yourself some inspirational time rewards, like a hot bath, time to flip through a book, look at blogs, write your own blog.
PLEASE add your own advice in the comments section and let us know what you’re up to around the house!
Hi, I'm Becky. I live in Atlanta. Besides acting as the Editorial Director here on Hatch, you can find me talking design over at Houzz. Make me happy — leave a comment!