Tuesday, November 2nd, 2010

TV Set Decoration We Love: In Treatment

16 Comments » | Published in Set Decoration  |  16 Comments

I was so excited to see one of my favorite actresses, Amy Ryan, join the cast of In Treatment on HBO (along with another favorite actress, Debra Winger). I was even more excited to see the way the set decorators did up her light-filled office. The lightness actually played a part in the storyline as well. It seems that therapy offices on television are always great – I loved trying to learn a little bit more about Dr. Melfi on The Sopranos through her office decor, while Tony Soprano squirmed in a modern chair; then there was Betty Draper lying across a Barcelona daybed and using an ashtray on a tulip side table on Mad Men. Now we have Gabriel Byrne squirming in his new therapists office on In Treatment. I think it’s the first time I’ve seen bright pops of color in one of these offices on television:

I think I spy an Offi W Magazine Stand and a Metropolis mag:

Oh since I mentioned those other therapy offices, I thought I might as well post these as well, just for fun. I swear that dancer statue of Dr. Melfi’s was always changing!

Filed under Set Decoration  |  16 Comments

1. Gail Capaldi says:

November 5th, 2010 at 6:53 am (#)

Hi Becky,

The breadth of the Internet never ceases to amaze me. I was also struck by the psychiatrist’s digs, especially the couch. I immediately, and on somewhat of a lark,, “googled” (Is that really a verb?) “set of in treatment” on my new favorite accessory, the iPad, and voilà. Amazing!

Major kudos to you for your power of observation and aesthetic sensibilities. Can’t wait to check out this website.

Any idea of who manufactures the couch?

BTW: Speaking of favorite accessories, I located (and later acquired) the gorgeous Chilewich fruit stand by the same search method via the Giada DiLaurentis set.

Keep up the good work!

November 5th, 2010 at 11:29 am (#)

Thanks Gail! I don’t have that sofa in the furniture encyclopedia in my head, but I’m thinking Room and Board or Mitchell Gold has something similar.

I LOVE the sets on this show, they tell so much about the characters – Paul’s first house, Gina’s house, Paul’s Brooklyn digs, and now Adele’s office. The other shows with sets that tell a lot about the characters that I’m obsessed with are “Mad Men” and “Cougartown”. (if you search our blog for those I’ve done a few posts). AMC.com used to have a great video about how they redecorated Betty’s living room, but I can’t seem to find it on their site anymore.

Those set decorators are my idols! Oh and of course “Boardwalk Empire” on HBO – there’s even a little extra about how they created that Boardwalk over in Queens or Brooklyn in their OnDemand offerings. Oh and “Bored to Death” – HBO really gets some great set designers whose meticulous works contributes so much to the shows!

3. Trisha says:

November 18th, 2010 at 3:36 pm (#)

I like Amy Ryan’s office too. But I’m really interested in Dr. Weston’s coffee table. Does anyone know where to get one?

November 18th, 2010 at 3:47 pm (#)

Trisha, I’m going to have to check it out next time I watch, I can’t picture it right now! I’d love to track down whoever does the set design for this show – they even referenced the boats he had in his Maryland office in the last episode. I love it when set design and characters are so intertwined!

5. Byrneholics.com | Gabriel Byrne » In Treatment S3 Reviews and More, Part 2 says:

November 18th, 2010 at 9:12 pm (#)

[...] TV Set Decoration We Love November 2: In Treatment [...]

6. audrey says:

November 29th, 2010 at 5:12 pm (#)

does anyone know the piece of art that was hanging in adele’s office? it was in the last scene as paul was exiting last week, it was on the wall over her shoulder as he left her office and they were standing by the door.

November 29th, 2010 at 9:39 pm (#)

Hi Audrey, I’m going to have to look again, I don’t remember. But I was intrigued that her apt. looked EXACTLY like her office when I saw the first episode for this week tonight. I need to take pictures of it :) I couldn’t remember where her duvet was from, it’s either West Elm, or something West Elm will imitate in the near future…

8. Suzanne says:

December 2nd, 2010 at 6:20 pm (#)

I also would love to know more about the coffee table in Dr. Weston’s office. Will check back!

9. TC says:

December 5th, 2010 at 8:53 am (#)

I, too, want Dr. Weston’s coffee table. Will be checking, as well!

10. Lara says:

December 13th, 2010 at 5:18 pm (#)

I too would love to know about the art hanging in Adele’s office, it’s right next to the door so you see it in a few different episodes when they’re entering/exiting the room. If anyone has any information please let me know!

11. Rebecca says:

December 15th, 2010 at 12:52 pm (#)

I would like to know where to get a coffee table like the one in Adele’s office. I have an office it would look perfect in.

R

December 15th, 2010 at 1:16 pm (#)

OH, this one I know! Adele’s coffee table is the classic Noguchi. YOu can find it at Design Within Reach.

13. Suzanne says:

December 15th, 2010 at 5:42 pm (#)

I actually just sourced the Noguchi table out and DWR had one of the highest prices, at least here in Canada. I would suggest going to the Herman Miller website and see where else in your area they carry it. I found it in Waterloo for about 400 less than DWR.

14. carp ferrari says:

January 2nd, 2011 at 6:12 am (#)

does anyone know who manufactures the orange and gray wall cabinet seen in adele’s office ?

it can be seen 3 mins into episode 4

carp

15. Sam says:

January 26th, 2013 at 11:57 pm (#)

I thought I was the only one who noticed the statues in dr Melfi’s Office changing postions every time Tony came for an appointment.. what was that all about anyway.. I found myself wondering more about the statue positioning than the converstaion between Tony & Dr Melfi..

16. Neil Peter Henley says:

January 21st, 2014 at 11:31 am (#)

Can someone name the water feature in Paul’s office in season one. It’s blue water in a Perspex box that rocks. Very therapeutic!! Please help!