Wednesday, August 25th, 2010

Owl’s Head Light

5 Comments » | Published in Preserving Modern Architecture  |  5 Comments

The other day I had a truly thrilling experience of space. After climbing to the top of the stairs to check out the view from the base of Owl’s Head Light, I realized the front door was open and I could go in and climb up to the top. In the sixty some years my mother has been visiting this lighthouse, this has never been possible, and were were psyched! I couldn’t get over how beautiful the inside of this small cylinder was, yet the space was so nice and not at all claustrophobic:

Did I mention that restoration was completed on the lighthouse just a few weeks ago? The restoration was made possible by The American Lighthouse Foundation, as well as The Friends of Rockland Breakwater. Lighthouses are such special places and have such long and heroic histories. I wanted to let you know about this organization so that if you have a passion for lighthouses, you can think about donating.  Just look at how spiffy she looks!

1. Casey@Good. Food. Stories. says:

August 25th, 2010 at 5:38 am (#)

Maine lighthouses – the best! This is one I haven’t visited yet, but will definitely be on our to-see list when we return next summer. Do you have a lighthouse passport like my obsessed husband?

August 25th, 2010 at 2:10 pm (#)

Casey, no, but now I want one!!! Apparently during the summers, you can get in here on weekends and Wednesdays, thanks to a bunch of great volunteers. It’s extra-spiffy and beautiful inside because they just restored it.

3. Heather says:

August 25th, 2010 at 3:17 pm (#)

Do you have any ww2 era towers up there they are spacious.

August 25th, 2010 at 3:23 pm (#)

The U-Boat lookouts? I haven’t noticed any here but that doesn’t mean anything – I know they sunk a ship full of molasses somewhere around here during WWII. I’ve seen them around the south shore of boston – very interesting structures.

5. Elsewhere « Visualingual says:

August 27th, 2010 at 6:29 am (#)

[...] Owl’s Head Light: a visit to a lighthouse in Maine. [...]