Thursday, August 12th, 2010

In Honor of The 25th Anniversery of St. Elmo’s Fire…

5 Comments » | Published in Movies  |  5 Comments

…May I present Demi Moore’s hilarious, glamorous at the time Georgetown apartment:

JULES: So, what do you think?

KEVIN: Very, uh, subtle…and very pink.

It was decorated by her neighbor Ron:

What’s funny is that it has some touches that remind me of Kelly Wearstler’s current Bravura Modern phase. Very Eighties Miami Vice (what is that thing hanging from the cabinet?!?!):

The piece de resistance is the huge Billy Idol face on the wall, complete with neon light earring. Unfortunately, I could not get a clear shot of this, but you get the idea:

What was most baffling was this clown that remained after Jules’ creditors came an cleaned her out. Apparently the repo men were scared of clowns:

Going back to the beginning of the movie, I can see this thing SAT ON HER BED! Really? Look closely at this bad picture from my tv:

It’s funny, this was really the only set that seemed ridiculously dated. The rest of them are as ageless as Rob Lowe’s face. I’ll share them with you in another post, as this one is getting to be way too long!

Filed under Movies  |  5 Comments

1. Emily says:

August 12th, 2010 at 10:24 am (#)

I am completely terrified of clowns. And this Pepto apartment. Yikes!

2. Barchbo says:

August 12th, 2010 at 12:10 pm (#)

I have seen this movie hundreds of times. I never get tired of the Billy Idol with the earring that is a light! Genius!

Don’t you love the satin robe with SHOULDER PADS?!
    And don’t you love that I still have the Victoria’s Secret knockoff that I finally cut the shoulder pads out of in 1993?

I always thought this apartment was fantastic foreshadowing that Jules’ drug problem was causing her brain to unravel. And yes, I have noticed the clown. Every time.

I was living in Boca (in high school) when this movie came out, so I always thought this movie was realistic – there were lots of homes with big murals, pink walls, and outrageously sized flower arrangements.

August 12th, 2010 at 4:46 pm (#)

OMG, I didn’t even quite pick up on the robe with shoulder pads – I couldn’t tell what was so funny looking about it! Hilarious!

4. Chichiboulie says:

August 13th, 2010 at 12:15 am (#)

Ah ha! I was wondering what it was as well. A bathrobe with shoulder pads….so that’s it. It’s one of my biggest fears that shoulder pads will come back into fashion, heaven forbid!

5. CyndiK says:

January 5th, 2011 at 6:51 am (#)

Hi, Becky…just followed you over here from Houzz….so I’m late to the party, but got a kick out of this post – talking ’bout my generation. Now that I think about it- the melt-down-pad decor may be a commentary on how lost the character was…out of touch with her prep roots….and mourning the loss of being “Daddy’s girl” to the grip of the “step monster”, her words. And she presumably bought all that stuff when she was drunk or high, right?