Thursday, August 12th, 2010

A Little Less Dated St. Elmo’s Fire Set Style

6 Comments » | Published in General  |  6 Comments

Well, I showed you the most dated of the St. Elmo’s Fire sets, complete with a Rebel Yell mural. The rest of the sets, though 25 years old, could work with just a few tweaks.

First we have Andrew McCarthy and Emilio Estevez’s man cave, complete with bottles of alcohol, a mess, lots of stereo equipment and albums, and a coffin for a coffee table. Man Cave design never changes much, it just gets better gaming systems. This one probably had Colecovision or Atari:

Next we have Mare Winningham’s parents’ traditional home, which looks like it was inspired by Dorothy Draper’s original design for The Greenbrier. Now they just need Carleton Varney to come over and update it a bit:

Then we have Judd Nelson and Ally Sheedy’s Georgetown loft. While it has a few bits of eighties I’d get rid of, like the glass block wall and all of those plants, the exposed brick, the oversized art, great natural light, and the open floor plan are all design elements that have endured. I think it’s such a mess in some of these pictures because they are breaking up and divvying up their belongings:

Filed under General  |  6 Comments

1. Barchbo says:

August 12th, 2010 at 12:39 pm (#)

This post makes me want to write a bunch of movie quotes.
    My favorite set from the movie is that cabin where Dale Beaverman and her bohunk go for the weekend and Kirby follows them up there. Plus, I love the bar. A great dive bar never goes out of style!!

“Fluff and fold, buddy. Soon as I make it really big, I’m going fluff and fold.” – Kirby

Such a stupid quote but I say it all the time!

August 12th, 2010 at 3:43 pm (#)

aboogalaboogalaboogala OhOhOh!

3. Shelly says:

February 20th, 2011 at 11:03 am (#)

Becky,
    I’m hoping you can tell me the name of the mural that is on the wall in the photo with Rob Lowe carring the 2 boxes. I’ve been trying to find this mural for years.

Shelly

February 20th, 2011 at 2:03 pm (#)

Oh no clue. I always wondered if it was tennis, and if so, if was Arthur Ashe. It looks like the people in it are rocking some seventies athletic getups!

5. ben says:

March 10th, 2012 at 9:20 pm (#)

It’s a Nike ad…they ran it once on tv and also in the first Nike store

March 13th, 2012 at 3:02 pm (#)

Thanks Ben – It rings a bell from my youth, when I was saving up for months for some white leather Nikes with blue swooshes.