Monday, July 26th, 2010

Inspiration Monday: Mad Men’s New Digs

27 Comments » | Published in Set Decoration  |  27 Comments

I am so excited to see Sterling Cooper Draper Price’s new digs in the Time Life building. Apparently there is a non-existent second floor, and they have The Emporer’s New Conference Table. The set designers on this episode are so genius. I’ve been all over AMC.com today looking for videos about the new sets but so far I’ve come up with nothing, but they are great about feeding us tidbits about their process so I feel hopeful there will be some good videos about the sets there soon.

There were many nuances in the set design. Betty, who now has a new husband in her bed, has tossed out the peacock blue velvet upholstered headboard for something more traditional (along with all of her fifties nipped-at-the-waist frocks for frumpier roomy suits and a double strand of oversized pearls). Don has moved into a depressing, pre-furnished, divorced dad apartment in the city (above), complete with bunk beds for overnights with the kids. It has absolutely no feeling of home, unlike his old house in the ‘burbs.

The most exciting thing about the episode were the shiny new offices of the new firm, Sterling Cooper Draper Price. Some of the artwork has evolved, their are shell chairs and Saarinen everywhere, and everything looks just a little bit more modern than the old firm. I can’t wait to see Cooper’s office and accompanying artwork, which they did not reveal last night. Doesn’t this area look like something that could exist in some hip start up? I love the detail of the Lanvin shoe on the inspiration board on the right.Oh wait, you can’t see it in this shot, but you can in the one below it:

Roger Sterling’s white office is my favorite. Complete with tulip table, I’m blanking on what that white lamp is called (please help me in the comments section! Thanks CapreeK “Nesso Table Lamp by Giancarlo Mattioli for Artemide”), white mirrored console, graphic black and white curtains and black and white painting. Check out the chrome table lamp and coat rack!

Breaking through more glass ceilings, Joan now has her own office. She’s kept it more traditional:

Still no conference table – it will be funny to see how that works out:

Finally, Don’s office hasn’t changed much. He still likes his mid-century modern dark woods, though it’s lightened up a bit. The spirits are still the most important part of the office:

Did you watch? What was your favorite part of the set design (or the show, I’m always happy to dish about this show!).

all images from amctv.com

Filed under Set Decoration  |  27 Comments

1. Dreaming of Palm Trees says:

July 26th, 2010 at 10:11 am (#)

I love Mad Men! I caught the first episode last night. The decor, the artwork, the clothing, the cast — pure heaven! :)

2. CapreeK says:

July 26th, 2010 at 10:39 am (#)

The white table lamp in Roger’s office is the Nesso Table Lamp by Giancarlo Mattioli for Artemide. :)

3. mary says:

July 26th, 2010 at 11:34 am (#)

Great write-up and screen shots. It was hard to concentrate on the dialogue and the actors as my eyes kept scanning the various sets. I especially loved the color scheme in Peggy’s creative space. I agree with the previous comment. I think it is a Nesso table lamp. Don needs to spruce up his bachelor digs. It seems like he was finding his creative mojo at the end of the episode. Maybe he will upgrade his digs with the new attitude or should I say “spin” he is creating.

July 26th, 2010 at 11:53 am (#)

thank you CapreeK! And Mary, I know, I need to go back and re-watch. Betty’s fashion choices were baffling to me – it’s like her style is matching her more conservative, less creative husband, or is perhaps bridging their age gap.

The one dynamic that never makes any sense to me is between Peggy and Pete. So weird and the gaps are never really filled in properly at any point.

5. Mish Dish says:

July 26th, 2010 at 12:40 pm (#)

I loved the red, blue & yellow color combination of the front entry furniture, fresh and innovative for a new creative company of their time.

6. Autumn says:

July 26th, 2010 at 4:38 pm (#)

So fun to see the new design this season! I was also in love with Peggy’s office. As a designer I totally geeked out at the Helvetica poster on her wall and I LOVED the giant black and gold peacock art behind her desk (I’ve been looking for it all day).

July 26th, 2010 at 4:44 pm (#)

Autumn, I couldn’t get a good shot of her office, but I loved that peacock poster too, and I was wondering if it had some underlying message about Peggy. Then again, I tend to overthink these things!

8. Lynda says:

July 27th, 2010 at 8:55 am (#)

OMG!! THANK YOU for posting that dreamy BLUE suede wall!!! LOVE Peggy’s new office!! The new office sets seem brighter this season – except for Don…. still livin’ in the dark – but hey – still FAB! Thanks again for posting (and stopping by my FB wall to let me know you did) You’re awesome Becky!

9. Barbara says:

July 27th, 2010 at 11:52 am (#)

My favorite part of the episode was Don being interviewd by the Wall Street Journal, I hope the next episode continues with that.

10. Robbie says:

July 28th, 2010 at 9:51 pm (#)

The nesso table lamp is actually an error! It wasn’t designed until 1967!

11. Alex says:

July 29th, 2010 at 10:38 am (#)

Interestingly, the white “Nesso Lamp” in Roger’s new office wasn’t introduced until 1967. Seems they’re taking some liberties with the continuity.

12. Alex says:

July 29th, 2010 at 10:39 am (#)

Oops, sorry for the redundant comment regarding the Nesso lamp.

13. Amanda says:

July 31st, 2010 at 5:02 pm (#)

The Nesso table light was introduced in 1962 – they got this one right, guys! I’m guessing there were further editions? Got curious and found the page in my “1000 Lights” by Taschen. Sorry I don’t have a link to share… Loving all the new colors!!! So glad to see Joan back for good.

14. Amanda says:

July 31st, 2010 at 5:10 pm (#)

Just as I wrote that, I found one:

15. Oneidagirl says:

August 1st, 2010 at 9:03 pm (#)

Does anyone know the kind of lamp on Peggy’s desk in season four episode 2?

August 2nd, 2010 at 5:09 am (#)

Thanks Amanda! I was kind of surprised to think that these guys would get it wrong.

17. Jan says:

August 4th, 2010 at 4:34 pm (#)

Great post!

For me the fun is when the characters are interacting with and commenting on the set. I loved Rodger Sterling’s comment that he worries nobody can see him with his white hair in his white office – and the client was distressed by the newfangled decor to the point he thought he might literally get sucked into the art! It was such a funny time when everyone was wanting to be cool with the modern but nobody or just a select few really understood it at that point. They’ve captured this era so well, as always, Mad Men nails it!

Fashion note — Love that Lanvin was all the rage here then and then it totally waned and now is back with bells on.

18. Taryn says:

August 10th, 2010 at 1:18 pm (#)

Anyone know where I can find that Peacock poster behind Peggy’s desk? Its so cool!

19. Steve says:

September 19th, 2010 at 12:02 pm (#)

Please can SOMEBODY tell me who that wonderful peacock print is by? It’s driving me crazy!

20. Susan says:

September 21st, 2010 at 3:22 pm (#)

Hi there,

Does anybody have any idea where I can find those fabulous graphic black-and-white drapes in Roger Sterling’s office, or that fabric?

Thanks!

21. Allan says:

September 23rd, 2010 at 8:48 am (#)

Does anyone know what those b&w drawings in Sterling’s office is?

September 23rd, 2010 at 9:37 am (#)

Hey All! Glad to know the lamp controversy turned out to be historically accurate ;) I love following the issues of the sixties via this show. Last week they seemed to hint at the “white flight” from America’s cities.

Anyway, I’ve sent an email to AMC begging them to add a video from the set designers like the one they had for Betty’s living room makeover last season. I also begged them to consider selling Peggy’s peacock poster as merch. I don’t know if a human will ever see it, but I’ve done my due diligence ;)

23. avi says:

January 11th, 2011 at 4:44 pm (#)

Has any of you made prgress re. the Black & White design in Rogers office?

Thanks

January 12th, 2011 at 9:41 am (#)

Avi, I’d ask here:

and here:

THis person has some interesting commentary and found something similar:

That was all I could find.

25. Kevin says:

January 14th, 2011 at 3:41 pm (#)

Roger’s Office: Saarinen Tulip Table, Poul Volther Corona Chaise

26. Barbara says:

May 5th, 2012 at 6:42 am (#)

Must have Roger’s black & white geometric drapes!!! Can’t
    stop obsessing on them!!! Help me!!!

27. Alexis says:

November 21st, 2012 at 3:44 pm (#)

Has anyone ever discovered the name of the artist or a retailer who sells the black and gold peacock print? I’ve been looking for it for awhile with no luck!