Tuesday, June 1st, 2010

9 By Design – What Did You Think?

10 Comments » | Published in Design TV  |  10 Comments

So, 9 by Design wrapped up this week on Bravo. What did you think? I have to say, at first these people really got on my nerves – I think because everything was so hectic – pregnant woman running around moving furniture, six kids yelling, a crazy stressful move, name dropping, claiming to be southern with the oddest accents ever, and a hyper husband. However, these people have TOTALLY grown on me. I think it started when they ran to the flea market and completely transformed their temporary granny rental in about five minutes flat. Then I started to see how sweet they are about helping their friends, and how they scramble for the bucks. Let’s not get it twisted – they make multi, multi millions on the houses they flip, so don’t feel to sorry for them when you see them have a tag sale, however, I like that they are having a tag sale.

Another thing about them: I remember seeing their Great Barrington house (I think it was in Oprah at Home a few years ago) and I’ve never forgotten it. I remember seeing the yellow and white curtains by the front door and assuming it was Kate Spade’s house. I remember a picture of Madonna smoking over the bed, and those vintage stools, and it all made an impression on me. Lately, I see so much design and I’ve seen the same old things blogged and printed in glossies over and over, it’s rare that something stands out (oh, and I should mention, I can feel myself writing the same things over and over – a phenomenon I call “deja blog”). When something is that memorable, I have to respect it. All and all, I’d give this show a thumbs up. It was certainly heading in the right direction by the end of the season – less hectic home stuff, more start to finish projects in a range of sizes, and I think it will have a great season two.

Side Note: I think we need to add oversized sepia tone horse photographs to our design drinking games. I am seeing them EVERYWHERE lately!

Oh, P.S. – you can buy an Ann Carrington Print of the Queen here.

all images from sixxdesign

Filed under Design TV  |  10 Comments

1. Ali says:

June 2nd, 2010 at 10:00 am (#)

I loved this show…so sad to see the season end already! The hotel designs were amazing and after seeing their country home my boyfriend and I had visions of our dream home (complete with a rolling garage door from the living room). Besides Hoarders, 9 by Design was the highlight of my TV watching week. My biggest take away…can you imagine all those kids entering their teen years?

June 2nd, 2010 at 10:42 am (#)

OH my god, at least they are spaced out enough so that they will not all be teens at once! My favorite is Breaker. The fact that his name is Breaker is hilarious – were they watching Breakin’ II Electric Boogaloo when Courtney was in labor?

I didn’t realize they had kept the country house, I assumed they had flipped it. Great Barrington has gone from being a blah town to a really cool town in the past ten years, so I’m sure its value has gone way up. The last time I was there it was to see Amelia at the movie theater there. That movie sucked. But there’s an awesome store called Church Street Traders chock full of yummy White and Warren sweaters around the corner.

3. Lorri says:

June 2nd, 2010 at 11:17 am (#)

I totally agree. 9 by Design has also made a huge impact on me. A very positive one. Immediately, upon watching the first episode, the show infiltrated my dreams – both night and day dreams! There is something about their entire energy that has become a permanent part within me. The love, the realness, their focus, their creativeness and the way Cortney and Robert make magic happen to whatever they touch is proof that one can really live their dreams. To watch a couple, truly living and breathing focus while creating harmony and chaos collectively, and while raising and living in a family, is not just impressive but affirmation that staying true to oneself will allow unlimited impact on life around you.

4. LiveLikeYou says:

June 2nd, 2010 at 8:41 pm (#)

I watched the preview on an unusually stressful day at work, and almost had heart failure! It so completely stressed me out– kids, chaos, craziness. I decided I had enough stress in my life and didn’t need more from TV. But I finally watched an episode last week after reading all the raves about it…have to admit I think I could get really in to that show.

June 2nd, 2010 at 11:59 pm (#)

Live, totally agree. The first few episodes were like watching those specials about the Octomom – screaming kids, chaos, hyperness. But it got better and shifted focus from the moving and family craziness to the design and the issues that come up and I really dug it. The editors found their grove about halfway through the series. I hope they have another season!

6. Laurie says:

June 3rd, 2010 at 8:04 am (#)

I really got into it also, and did feel the tone of the show shift through what seemed like a super-quick season. More Please!
    Faves:
    – like the ann carrington even more now, how delightful is she? Don’t like that i’m considering a $500 print that I should be sick of by now.
    – the kids and assistants are still a delight
    Worsties:
    -the 100% pier one apartment. Thanks for the promotional consideration pier 1, and I liked the work with your resources and family connections vibe, but ehh… I needed more balance there.
    The high low, the authentic repro, the new old, the bob cortney!
    -Developer Dave meetings, great business guy thank-god he shuts them down (commercial space, chair made of tape??) but I don’t know if that kind of drama build up is necessary or interesting. It just makes me feel like, handle it idiots-he doesn’t care, half of these meetings are unnecessary!

I’d stay in that hotel for a weekend, would you guys?

7. Sugar says:

June 3rd, 2010 at 11:39 am (#)

I’d agree with everyone. Their design aesthetic has totally grown on me- and I kinda love them as people too. I think they are about to sky rocket into super stardom in design.

8. Kate says:

June 6th, 2010 at 10:24 am (#)

Love the show. Don’t know much about design as my house will painfully attest, but I think that the show is a good antidote to Real Housewives NYC as to who New Yorkers are. I realize I’m a small demographic, the parents of seven children, but I watch 9bD for the family scenes. They seem excellent parents and that is quite refreshing in reality television.

9. Lépésr?l lépésre « KlassDSign says:

February 3rd, 2011 at 6:05 am (#)

[...] via design public [...]

10. Escadas com atitude! | Atelier Inbox says:

April 7th, 2011 at 6:20 am (#)

[...] via [...]