Sunday, April 25th, 2010

Rethinking the Garage: A Woman Cave!

8 Comments » | Published in Architecture, modern inspiration  |  8 Comments

I am one of those people who looks at a garage and thinks about how to make it livable. However, I have nothing on this woman, who became her own general contractor, raided airplane and boat salvages for parts, built a base for a clawfoot-less tub, and even learned how to weld during the process of making her garage habitable. Check out the entire article and slideshow at The New York Times; it’s really inspiring. I like this idea a whole lot better than the yurt in Alaska thing.

She’s married now and has moved back into the main house, but she’s kept the garage as her woman cave. A garage outfitted for a performance and visual artist differs greatly from that of  a couple of foot-long eating Rush aficionados:

TOTAL SIDE NOTE: Did anyone see the HILARIOUS letter to the editor to the Times about their recent articles – it mentioned the yurt people, the people who never turn on the heat, and some other article – the gist of it was basically “what’s the next trend, igloos?” That’s all I have to go on; I meant to cut it out and to share it with my fellow NYTimes Home readers because it was so funny – if you know where it is, please let me know in the comments section. I think it was published about two months ago.

• photo from one of the funniest scenes ever, the “Tom Sawyer” montage –  Dreamworks Pictures, I Love You Man
  • photo by Ira Lippke for The New York Times

1. Mary says:

April 26th, 2010 at 8:39 am (#)

Love this article. Every woman should have a Woman Cave. Michelle is gifted with a great vision and eye for design. I also WANT to know the color of the Woman Cave. That is is the color I have been searching for to paint the exterior of my home. I wonder how I could get the name and brand?

April 26th, 2010 at 11:47 am (#)

Mary, I love it too. Perhaps you could ask in the comments section at NYTimes.com? Also, I think Benjamin Moore may have a sort of sampling thing where you can take a sample from the screen and match it to a color; I know you can at pantone.com. Obviously, the color on the screen is less than ideal, but it could get you pretty close to the color.

If you have a great printer, print the picture form nytimes.com and bring it to the paint store?

3. Condo Blues says:

April 26th, 2010 at 1:23 pm (#)

I love The Woman Cave! I want a Woman Cave in my garage but instead of a living space, I want to build a serious work bench and tool room.

I wonder how she got it zoned as a residence? They never mentioned that in the article.

April 26th, 2010 at 2:21 pm (#)

Condo Blues, I was wondering the same thing. I know the town I lived in really only opposed OVER the garage apartments because they were concerned with carbon monoxide poisoning from the cars below. I wonder if the zoning differs much from having a basement apartment?

5. Kelley Moore says:

April 26th, 2010 at 3:29 pm (#)

I loved this article! I almost wrote about it on my own blog, but as gorgeous as the space is, it’s not necessarily aesthetic. Nonetheless, I love the notion of a “woman cave” and I adore how she utilized so many repurposed materials! Kinda proud that she’s a fellow Seattleite…mad props to such a strong, independent woman!

6. Mary says:

April 27th, 2010 at 11:07 am (#)

Thank you for the suggestions Becky. I will have to see what I can do to get near that color.

7. hilary says:

April 27th, 2010 at 12:47 pm (#)

I hope these links point you to the letter you are referring to!

“Chilled by Choice” NYT Jan 10, 2010
    article: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/21/garden/21cold.html?ref=garden

Letters in response:

April 28th, 2010 at 4:16 pm (#)

Yea Hilary!!!

Oh my god, yes, it was the letter by SHARI! And the irony is, she was joking when she said

“I look forward to the next entries in your atavistic-living series. Perhaps ‘People Who Don’t Wear Shoes’ or ‘People Who Forage for All Their Food.'”

They already did an article about freegans in the past few years, so it really was “People Who Forage for All Their Food in Dumpsters”!!! And they did that article about the Cave Man movement, where people don’t wear their shoes in winter while running across the Brooklyn Bridge. Two of whom work at this company…they call themselves “Paleos” or something.

THANK YOU! That letter made me laugh for the second time, months later!