Friday, April 2nd, 2010

Julie Bowen’s House

5 Comments » | Published in Bathrooms, Color Palettes, Design Magazines, Design Press, House Tours, Interior Designers  |  5 Comments

Did anyone else open up the first few pages of In Style, see this, and think “Huh. Gwenyth looks kinda weird in this picture. And her style sure has changed since H&G featured her house in the Hamptons..”? I did. Just wondering:

It must be the blonde updo and the big smile. By the way, that’s Julie Bowen. Her sister, Molly Luetkemeyer, founder of M. Design Interiors decorated Julie’s Studio City house. It’s a fun mix. While we see a few icons from our design drinking games past (I spy a hand mold and a turquoise foo dog), I think her work has a fresh take. She is able to mix in a bunch of eras, styles, colors and textures without creating a sloppy mish-mosh; it becomes a style of its own, one that has to do a careful balancing act to work. It’s not quite Regency, it’s not quite crazy enough to go under that ubiquitous “eclectic” moniker – I’m dubbing it “Vicente Wolf on a very tightly controlled acid trip”. I also like it because I have that elephant on the coffee table in the living room. I got it at Neiman Marcus Last Call for like thirty bucks:

To see the rest of the house, and some other exuberant projects from M. Design Interiors, click here.

All imagess property of M. Design Interiors, except for the first one, which is from In Style.

1. erin f says:

April 2nd, 2010 at 11:33 am (#)

I love molly luetkemeyer! the way she uses color and pattern makes me smile. I’m an editor at California Home + Design magazine and we just finished our May issue which features Molly’s OWN house in Laurel Canyon. There she does all the stuff that she can’t convince her clients to (think a bedroom totally upholstered in orange and red French fabric)—it’s amazing!

April 2nd, 2010 at 12:57 pm (#)

Hi Erin, Thank you so much for letting us know, I can’t wait to see the article. You also recently featured the work of Vanessa de Vargas, one of my other favorite designers, in your Upward Bound House article. I’m all the way on the other coast but I always pick up your magazine when I see it.

3. Catherine says:

April 4th, 2010 at 1:01 pm (#)

I love the use of colours. Enough to make a statement but not overwhelming. a perfect balance.

4. Emily says:

April 5th, 2010 at 3:32 pm (#)

I really hate foo dogs. In all colors.

But I do like the green in the back of the bookcases. Finding a good green is a serious challenge – they are either too 70s avocado or too lime or too grass/primary.

April 5th, 2010 at 4:29 pm (#)

Emily, it is tough – I like the hint of avocado to this one. She seems to really be a master with the colors.