Visit our other brands: danishdesignstore.com, adogslife.net

Wednesday, March 3rd, 2010

D.I.Y. Disasters: IKEA Sconce Lampshades

Becky

Posted by Becky | View all posts by Becky
3 Comments » | Published in DIY  |  3 Comments

What’s wrong with this picture? It’s another Becky D.I.Y. Disaster!

I’ve decided to reveal my complete lack of skills when it comes to Do-It-Yourself to you, because at least a few of you seem to find it funny. I read ReadyMade, I come up with all kinds of overambitious ideas, and when I go to execute, the results are laughable. I finally bought some new sconce/chandelier lampshades at RE-Store the other day (that place is AWESOME!) for $2.95 each, new in package (I also picked up some earplugs for my neighbor’s weekly two hour leaf blowing extravaganzas, for ten cents each). I absolutely adore the print on this pair I bought at IKEA, but like everything else I have ever bought there, they were a near miss – while my sconces require clip shades, this was one of those weird shades with a ring that fits below the bulb, and probably only works on lights from IKEA. Inspired by IKEAHacker, I figured it would be an easy fix. For some reason I felt sure this involved stolen coffee stirrers from the coffeeshop and packaging tape.

(Pardon the D.I.Y. Photoshopping Above) By the way, these stayed like this for about a year. They were actually straight for about a month or so, but because they were at the top of the stairs, this was the main view of my handiwork I had of at least one of them as I looked up. Let’s get one more look at how this was working out:

Usually I have a hard time living with things that are crooked, but this was such a lost cause and I hate bare bulbs so much that I just ignored it. Do you have anything around the house like this that you’ve just let go forever?

About Becky

Hi, I'm Becky. I live in Atlanta. Besides acting as the "Editorial Director" here on Hatch, you can find me spewing lots of design opinions and tips over at Houzz. Make me happy -- leave a comment!

Share

Filed under DIY  |  3 Comments

Responses

  1. Michelle Salz-Smith says:

    March 3rd, 2010 at 7:41 pm (#)

    Awesome!!! :)

  2. Kim at EF eDesigns says:

    March 4th, 2010 at 6:24 am (#)

    Haha, mine isn’t so much a DIY never ending nagging detail…but we had wood flooring put into our hallways where we inexplicably had asbestos linoleum. Trim needed to be removed to accommodate this, and it still. lives. in. the. basement. From TWO years ago! My pets have now started to play with the loose plaster at the bottoms of the walls, so finally painting that trim and putting it back on the walls has become top of the project list!

  3. sally says:

    March 4th, 2010 at 11:26 am (#)

    Looks like all of my DIY projects!

Leave a Response