Wednesday, November 4th, 2009

Prized Possessions: What’s Yours?

5 Comments » | Published in Uncategorized  |  5 Comments

Decorators should never insist on throwing out everything the client has. Even when they are far from perfect, loved possessions add personality.

-Billy Baldwin

What are your loved possessions? Please share them with us! I’ll start: Two of mine are these Staffordshire dogs that were my grandmother’s. They always sat on her mantle on Cape Cod and they always remind me of her. She was the ultimate animal lover – every bird and stray cat in her neighborhood was fed by her, and her dog Guinness had gourmet meals prepared for him every night.

Now they have separated, one of them has a place of pride on my Parson’s desk:

Filed under Uncategorized  |  5 Comments

1. visualingual says:

November 4th, 2009 at 7:45 am (#)

Ha! I’m so curious about what people will post. We’ve got two.

For me, it’s this Noguchi lamp. It’s extremely fragile, gives off almost no light [but it looks so sexy doing it!], and it cost a freaking arm and a leg, even though I got a great deal on it. It was my first grown-up purchase after graduate school, and I’m absolutely in love with it, even though [or maybe because?] it’s such an absurd object. I can’t believe it’s still intact, after so many moves.

For my partner Michael, it’s this taxidermy fish we inherited from his grandparents. His grandfather was quite the accomplished fisherman and, when his grandmother was selling the house and unloading various possessions, everyone in the family inherited a taxidermy fish. We got what was called “the small one” — it’s over four feet long! Again, it’s absurd, but also amazing.

2. 31everything says:

November 4th, 2009 at 8:45 am (#)

Mine is my baby grand :)

3. Cyrus says:

November 4th, 2009 at 5:50 pm (#)

Ingo Maurer Zettel’z 5 Chandelier: http://www.formplusfunction.com/products/detail/828

4. Krisse says:

November 11th, 2009 at 7:07 pm (#)

Where I am from, in the good old times, sailor’s wife put the dogs on a table next to a window to look out when the sailor was away. When he came back they were turned to look into the room so that everyone would know the man of the house was back.

November 11th, 2009 at 7:32 pm (#)

Krisse, that is so cute – I’d never heard that before.