Tuesday, October 13th, 2009

A Flash from the Past

6 Comments » | Published in General, Vintage Looks  |  6 Comments

What was your room like when you were a kid? I had floral wallpaper and two antique brass beds, a huge shelving unit, an aquarium (all the fish died of some disease appropriately called “Ick”) and a rolltop desk. In Junior High, I covered the wallpaper with Duran Duran and Police posters, and eventually my mom let me make over my room. My pride and joy was my new white “Scandanavian” desk from Bova, primary colors, the blue file cabinet I covered in paint pen squiggles, and the pièce de résistance, the Boynton wallpaper border. Remember Boyton? I had buttons and stickers and notepaper before I worked my way up to wallpaper border. Yesterday I found a piece of the wallpaper inside of the rolltop. Here’s a little 80’s nostalgia for you…

Filed under General, Vintage Looks  |  6 Comments

1. Kit Pollard says:

October 13th, 2009 at 5:12 am (#)

My room: pink + Laura Ashley when I was little, then a little less pink + INXS when I was in middle school.

My son has a bunch of Sandra Boynton books! They were written in the 70s, but they’re really pretty timeless. My favorite is the one about 44 hippos having a party. Because why wouldn’t they?

2. Laurie says:

October 13th, 2009 at 6:51 am (#)

wow, you were ahead of me, I just kept a fold out Boynton card above my bathroom mirror as a pseudo-border.

But I can probably recite all of Moo, Bah, Lalala from memory.

October 13th, 2009 at 9:40 am (#)

Kit, I went to see INXS in 1988 and lost my voice I screamed so much. Funny, the next iteration after this Boynton (we had to move soon after I put it in) was Laura Ashley “Polyanthus” – green and purple. I took different Laura Ashley with me to college. Thank god for grunge, as my first semester I used to wear navy blue w/ white polka dot bloomers – some sort of one piece hideously unflattering goofy getup I thought was cute!

4. CoyleArt says:

October 14th, 2009 at 9:29 am (#)

It’s nice to know there are fellow Boynton-ites from the 80’s out there that managed to make floral prints and band posters merge into decor. My bands were the Go-Gos and U-2, the floral wallpaper was pink and green and there was a big glossy rainbow poster in there somewhere. And I love Sandra Boynton. Thanks for the flash from the past!

October 14th, 2009 at 10:19 am (#)

CoyleArt, I LOVED the Go-Gos and U2. It took twenty years but I finally saw the Go-Gos for the first time a few years ago, and U2 for the first time last Tuesday. They were AMAZING and they even played “The Unforgettable Fire,” my all-time favorite song.

6. Brian says:

October 15th, 2009 at 9:48 am (#)

My room was totally boring. The old 1960’s brown wood panel. Guess my parents werent very decorative. haha