Monday, October 5th, 2009

Inspiration Monday: Twentieth Century Pattern Design

6 Comments » | Published in Art and Artists  |  6 Comments

The book I laid out on my coffee table this week is Twentieth Century Pattern Design by Lesley Jackson. Many of these prints have been making a huge comeback over the past ten years, as we’ve seen them everywhere from Josef Frank Anthropologie sofas to William Morris Prada pumps.

An array of Art Noveau prints designed around the turn of the cenury. Clockwise from top left: Lindsay Butterfield, Sidney Mawson, Allan Vigers, and George C. Haite.

Vegetable Tree by Josef Frank

Afrika by Vicke Landstrand

Ros och liga by Gocken Jobs

Kamaeleon by Marie Gudme Leth

Tulip by William Morris

all images from Twentieth Century Pattern Design by Lesley Jackson.

Filed under Art and Artists  |  6 Comments

1. CoyleArt says:

October 6th, 2009 at 3:59 am (#)

It’s amazing how design that is well done never goes out of style – those 100 year old patterns are a testament to that. Thanks for sharing! Also, another fun book for pattern lovers: Florence Broadhurst Her Secret and Extraordinary Lives.

October 6th, 2009 at 6:59 am (#)

CoyleArt I LOVE that book. And her patterns. Esp. that horse pattern. And the egrets pattern. And the Moulin Rouge pattern…

3. Pragya says:

October 6th, 2009 at 6:42 pm (#)

ooooh!!! I’m loving these patterns! Off to check out the book on amazon..

October 6th, 2009 at 10:45 pm (#)

Pragya, I have the paperback version and it’s still a very nice book – I think you can get it for about $13 at amazon. It’s a great reference and source of inspiration!

5. Jerod says:

October 7th, 2009 at 2:27 pm (#)

These Art Noveau prints would be great as room dividers. So many of our clients are looking for great fabrics and the Vegetable Tree by Josef Frank is beautiful.
    Thanks for the post.
    Jerod

6. Carpet Cleaning Edinburgh says:

October 9th, 2009 at 3:26 pm (#)

nice, wonder how much these cost.