Tuesday, August 25th, 2009

Modern College and Dorm

7 Comments » | Published in General  |  7 Comments

It’s time to start thinking about back to school again, and we want to remind you that we have a Modern College and Dorm category to help you find everything you’ll need for college. Well, except for this:

If you have any good ideas, blog posts you’ve done, favorite dorm room links, or images you’ve taken of your dorm room, please send them in via the comments section. We’d love to see them!

Filed under General  |  7 Comments

1. Khürt L Williams says:

August 25th, 2009 at 3:17 am (#)

Which college is the woman in the photo going to? College dorm rooms are NEVER that large.

August 25th, 2009 at 7:44 am (#)

No duh. It’s a picture of potential dorm furniture.

Ironically, the University of Virginia just sent me an email of my dorm being torn down today. They want me to buy a brick. That place was a disgusting sweatbox. 3rd floor, one window in the room, no A/C in freaking VIRGINIA.

3. Alison Wittenberg says:

August 25th, 2009 at 6:52 pm (#)

that was a really cool idea, to check out your artbooks when you’re looking for inspiration- that assortment of Klee’s was amazing!

4. visualingual says:

August 26th, 2009 at 5:43 am (#)

I love the ingenuity, good and bad, surrounding the domestic lives of college students, like the crazy combo furniture in dorm rooms, or the way they use furniture to suit their needs.

One year, a friend and I moved all of our possessions down the hill to our new home using a skateboard and a rolling office chair. We were moving into a furnished off-campus house whose living room featured scavenged pieces from the just-renovated local airport, including lounge seating — those connected rows of chairs with butt-sized seats and arm rests, so you couldn’t stretch out and get comfortable.

Becky, I almost went to UVA! Instead, I ended up here. It’s the closest I’ve ever gotten to Hogwarts.

5. nick says:

August 27th, 2009 at 5:35 am (#)

These are alot cooler looking than my dorm. Think bed on cinder blocks.

6. Steph Hawas says:

August 29th, 2009 at 8:32 pm (#)

Urgh, my dorm room furniture is provided…

August 30th, 2009 at 4:16 pm (#)

Maya, I’m laughing at your skateboard story. One year we put every piece of furniture we had on the back of my ’88 Mustang convertible. I’m talking a huge sixties brown plaid pull-out sofa that weighed a ton. We secured it by hanging onto it for dear life! After that, I always hired movers, never asked my friends for help in exchange for not having to help them.

Nick and Steph, if you’re stuck with yucko furniture, don’t fret. Art, rugs, duvets, throw pillows, and lighting can make a HUGE difference. My biggest advice is to have regular access to a vacuum cleaner. Ours broke, and we wound up collecting gross stuff out of the rugs with mailing tape. SO NASTY! I also recommend the big comfy Fatboys for extra seating and a pop of style.

becky