Monday, July 20th, 2009

The Cardinal House

12 Comments » | Published in Architecture, Art and Artists, General, Real estate  |  12 Comments

I was in Cincinnati for 48 hours last week and while I didn’t get a chance to check out the exhibit of his newly found paintings at Fabulous Frames, I stumbled upon this remarkable house while checking out a river view house for sale in Anderson Township. I suppose the street sign before the shared driveway should have given me a clue as to what was ahead:

There was another Charley Harper cardinal on the other side of the house in the carport. Those decks have a great view of the Ohio River and the rolling bluegrass hills of Kentucky on the other side.

By the way, this is the house nearby that my friends and I want to make our dream house when we win the lottery and retire:

1. visualingual says:

July 20th, 2009 at 4:54 am (#)

Wow, that’s awesome! I wonder if this house is owned by a fan, or if Charley actually had anything to do with the murals. Very cool!

2. Office says:

July 20th, 2009 at 5:10 am (#)

Very nice indeed. What a gorgeous view

Good lucky with winning the lotto! Would be a stunning house to own!

3. house for sale philippines says:

July 29th, 2009 at 9:20 pm (#)

I like the house. Since there’s only 4 of us, I think it suit’s us perfectly with my parents. I do have a question though, I wonder if the price is negotiable? Thanks for sharing. Nice post.

Deirdre Gonzales

July 30th, 2009 at 7:41 am (#)

I’d guess in this economy that all prices are quite negotiable!

5. Elsewhere « Visualingual says:

August 14th, 2009 at 4:07 am (#)

[...] The Cardinal House: Becky finds a Charley Harper mural on the side of a house in Anderson, of all places. [...]

6. D R E W says:

August 14th, 2009 at 7:16 am (#)

wow, that’s totally cool and funny! thanks for sharing!

7. Phillip Roberto says:

November 10th, 2010 at 1:25 pm (#)

Becky,

I stumbled on the old post.

I grew up next to that house. My mother still lives there. The owner/architect is an award-winning UC DAAP graduate and was a friend (and obviously a fan) of Charlie Harper.

That dream house you toured was much more handsome before its exterior was recently ‘updated’.

November 11th, 2010 at 9:41 am (#)

Oh wow Phillip, how neat to hear more about the house! I grew up off Asbury closer to 275 in the ’80s. (Foxtrail “Farms” – not sure where they put the farms, but it seems they are all long gone in Anderson today). Thanks so much for giving us more information about this house. I was first introduced to Charley Harper’s work as a little girl at the Cincinnati Nature Center. It’s been fun to see his popularity explode in the past decade.

9. A Little Peek Inside the Charley Harper House | Hatch: The Design Public® Blog says:

March 21st, 2011 at 8:06 pm (#)

[...] The Cardinal House (a reader even commented and let me know more about how this house – I love it when stuff like that happens!) [...]

10. Laura says:

February 3rd, 2014 at 11:19 am (#)

Wow – that’s the house I grew up in…a grade school classmate sent this to me (thanks, Joe!).

My Mom and Dad still live there. Dad graduated from UC’s Architecture program in the 50′s, designed and built the home after he graduated, and we moved in about 1960. Dad is definitely a Charley Harper fan and friend – as a master woodworker, Dad framed a lot of Charley Harper’s artwork for him years ago, and has so many special Harper pieces at this home and at his office. Dad has renovated and added on to this home so many times over the years, including a large woodshop addition over a garage (just to the left of the screened porch in the photo).

February 4th, 2014 at 10:35 am (#)

Hi Laura! It’s such a thrill to hear from you and find out more about this house! It has intrigued me since I was a kid. That is so cool! Did you go to Ayer Elementary or Anderson High School by chance? I did.

12. Jody says:

February 4th, 2014 at 2:34 pm (#)

Laura,

We were admiring your dad’s house on our facebook page! It is so awesome that you responded here! Just to get the history correct, your dad built the house. Who painted the cardinal? (We were somewhat confused! lol) Also, my dad is also a UC graduate around the same time. (John Pol – Baxter Hodell Donnelly and Preston.) Would love it if you joined our FB group and share the above with everyone!

Thanks