Wednesday, July 8th, 2009

Lost Charley Harper Prints Exhibit in the ‘natti

7 Comments » | Published in Art and Artists, Events & Exhibitions  |  7 Comments

Thanks to Maya over at Visualingual, for letting me know about the Charley Harper exhibit at Fabulous Frames in Cincinnati (10817 Montgomery Road location). Here’s the story, from Fabulous Frames’ blog:

Included in the exhibit will be approximately 50 original paintings created by Charley for Ford Times and Lincoln Mercury Times magazines between 1948 and 1982. The illustrations were reproduced in the magazines, but the originals were thought to have been lost until they were discovered in a Ford Motor Company vault earlier this year.

With the permission of Edsel Ford II, the entire collection was returned to the Harper family, which organized this exhibit with Fabulous Frames & Art, an art gallery and custom-framing shop that has had a relationship with the Harpers for over 30 years. Charley’s son Brett Harper will be on hand during the opening reception to introduce this important body of work.

The exhibit opens this weekend and runs through August 8. Also, Fabulous Frames has some wonderful Harper prints for sale online here. Some may surprise you; Maya got me giggling over this one:

I love this Blenko-looking bottle one as well:

all images from fabframes.com

1. cinplify.com says:

July 8th, 2009 at 12:55 pm (#)

Lost Charley Harper Prints Exhibit in the ‘nati…

Hatch, the highly regarded design blog, shows a preview of just-found work by Charley Harper. The exhibit of Ford Times paintings opens this weekend and runs through August 8 at Fabulous Frames & Art at 10817 Montgomery Rd., Montgomery….

2. visualingual says:

July 8th, 2009 at 12:57 pm (#)

I’m so glad you like them! Just a correction — these are all paintings, which were originally published in the magazines. Some in this exhibit have been made into prints, but not the ones you show. So, no Massage for you, unless you’ve got 20k for the painting!

3. French furniture says:

July 8th, 2009 at 2:17 pm (#)

Cute prints, or should I say, paintings!

4. Charley Harper Original Art Exhibit « Fabulous Frames & Art Blog says:

July 9th, 2009 at 9:10 am (#)

[...] 100 Original Harper Works Discovered Art Show to Feature New Original Charley Harper Paintings Lost Charley Harper Paintings Exhibit in the ‘Nati Original Paintings by Charley [...]

July 9th, 2009 at 9:50 am (#)

Thanks Maya, that was totally unclear in the above post! Is Fab Frames also selling all of the originals? I couldn’t quite figure that out now that I look back at the site and see the mistake I made in my assumption!

6. visualingual says:

July 9th, 2009 at 10:25 am (#)

Becky, Fabulous Frames & Art has been selling Charley’s prints for over 30 years. The owners have a relationship with the Harper family and are the major dealers of their work. What’s crazy about this upcoming exhibit is that it’s all paintings — in fact, paintings that almost no one has ever seen in person, as they were created to be reproduced in Ford Times and Lincoln Mercury Times magazines [hence a lot of cars and roadtrip destinations]. Some of the paintings also served as studies for screenprints, and a few were later reproduced as lithograph or giclee prints.

For more info, check out this recent article.

7. mrschuster.com » A doodle from school and some links i liked says:

August 10th, 2009 at 12:32 pm (#)

[...] Charley Harper exhibit [...]