Tuesday, May 26th, 2009

Some Favorite Design Moves Seen at the Modern Atlanta Tour

6 Comments » | Published in Architecture, Decorating Modern, House Tours  |  6 Comments

A lot of times on a modern house tour, you tend to see the same stark spaces, blank white walls, and Saarinen Tulip Tables at every house. Not true at on the Modern Atlanta House tour: each one showed the owners’ personalities through a variety of means. Here are a few of the fun design moves I spied last weekend.

A peek-a-boo guestroom, as seen from the stairs on the way to the kitchen. Curtains are pulled aside to expose this room to visitors in other areas of the house. I love that the lucite nightstand and clear glass lamp play off the glass wall.

In the same house, I love this green dresser and great peacock print look together. The frame works really well with the curtain color.

I wish I had a dollar for every cowhide rug I saw. This area around one was really well laid-out:

I totally dug this arrangement of FLOR carpet tiles:

I love this low cabinet full of plants. It keeps everything from being too stark:

This photograph is so perfect over the sink. Now I want some Honey Nut Cheerios:

This gives new meaning to “piano bar”:

I also like to decorate my closet with fun artwork. The silver and red heels are really eye-catching:

1. sally says:

May 26th, 2009 at 3:53 pm (#)

Ha! When I went to Street of Eames I wish I had brought a flask with me. We developed a drinking game where you’d take a swing any time you’d see a cowhide rug, Eames shell chair, tulip table, or Dwell mag.

I would have been passed out by the 2nd house!

2. Amy says:

May 26th, 2009 at 6:21 pm (#)

Why would someone put a picture of cheerios in their house….so dangerous! I am totally craving them now!!!

May 27th, 2009 at 8:28 am (#)

Sally, we had a drinking game going like that on the blog for awhile. I think that’s why I let my Dwell subscription lapse – while I liked the homes they featured and the idea behind the mag, I was overwhelmed by the same bent ply in every house – they all started to look the same.

Amy, I know. I just looked through again and I want Cheerios. I remember Omar on “The Wire” was always talking about Honey Nut and it always made me want them then too!

4. Lesley Weidenbener says:

May 28th, 2009 at 4:58 pm (#)

The cowhide rug may be a cliche but I love in that photo above. It’s a great table and I would LOVE to have a little seating area like that in my house!

5. becky says:

May 28th, 2009 at 6:39 pm (#)

Leslie, I thought it looked great in this setting, and most of the settings I saw in general. It was just that it was the object du jour – pretty much every house had at least one!

6. raquel raney says:

June 2nd, 2009 at 11:06 am (#)

totally awesome.