Wednesday, May 20th, 2009

Henry Moore at the Atlanta Botanical Garden

6 Comments » | Published in Art and Artists, Events & Exhibitions, Landscape Design  |  6 Comments

Yesterday I spent a perfect afternoon at the Atlanta Botanical Garden checking out the Henry Moore sculptures. These sculptures sited throughout the property’s garden, conservatory, and orchid house were a perfect match of work and site. While I don’t pretend to be any sort of expert on sculpture, the relationship of scale to site, views to the work, and the context of placement in the gardens and the skyline of the city in the background were remarkable. Each piece was dynamic in that each view of it from 360 degrees made it appear to be a totally different work, offering a variety peeks through holes and crevices in parts of the pieces, and changing appearances from sunshine and shadows. Here are a few shots I snapped yesterday:

The exhibition will run through October 31, 2009. Tickets for adults are $15.

You can see the rest of my cruddy pictures here.

1. kitpollard says:

May 22nd, 2009 at 8:34 am (#)

I love sculpture gardens – especially when they’re in the city! The picture with the skyline showing through the center of the sculpture is amazing.

Have you ever been to the Hirshhorn sculpture garden? It’s adjacent to an outdoor ice rink. Coolest place ever to go ice skating.

May 22nd, 2009 at 2:40 pm (#)

No I haven’t, but that sounds awesome. I’d love to go. Man, my ice skating skills are RUSTY! I might have to stay on solid land for that one!

3. Diana says:

May 25th, 2009 at 5:53 pm (#)

Am I the only one that thinks every sculpture is incredibly sexual on a subliminal level?

May 25th, 2009 at 5:57 pm (#)

Diana, I have a pile of dirty names in my head for every statue that did not feature a mother and child. I wasn’t going to write it in the body of the post, but I can’t resist now that you mention it. They are really mature nicknames, like “two pee pee’s touching…”

May 25th, 2009 at 5:58 pm (#)

… and “giant vajajay in the rose garden”

6. LAND architect says:

August 7th, 2009 at 1:56 pm (#)

Becky,
    I just discovered your blog. I love the photos. I must go to the Atlanta Botanical Garden to see these sculptures. Thanks