Thursday, April 23rd, 2009

Ready Made Magazine – A Must-Buy This Month

12 Comments » | Published in Architecture, Design Magazines, Design on the Web, Design Press, DIY, Fresh New Design, modern inspiration  |  12 Comments

This month’s issue of Ready Made really stood out. I’ve been a fan of the magazine for awhile, but  the April/May issue really takes it to the next level. Ready Made has definitely taken the “k” out of “crafty.” Loved the peak into artist Rex Ray’s 900 square foot home:

Loved the articles about community farms, the “where I live” article about Poncey Highland, Thomas Wold’s wacky found object coat rack, the key challenge’s winning design. Loved it from cover-to-cover!

In semi-Readymade related news, today’s New York Times featured a house I covet in an article titled “When Skateboarders Grow Up.” A Ready Made stylist (perhaps former, I could not find that information), Claire Bigbie, and her boyfriend Jay Shapiro renovated their Noe Valley Victorian beautifully. You MUST check out the slideshow here. Here’s a little teaser:

People who went to RISD sure have the best art and furniture collections. I really need to start hanging out with more people who went to school there!

• Ready Made cover by Scott Little
  • Rex Ray’s abode photo by Ken Gutmaker for Ready Made
  • Bottom two photos by Timothy Griffith for The New York Times.

1. kitpollard says:

April 23rd, 2009 at 2:07 pm (#)

I LOVE the skateboarder house. I wish I could do the same thing with a garage door to my basement.

I also wish there was a better picture of what the fencing looks like. Corrugated steel is an interesting choice, but I can’t totally envision it. Can’t figure out if it would look cool in my yard, or totally out of place out of the city.

2. becky says:

April 23rd, 2009 at 3:15 pm (#)

What’s your neighborhood like? I think it’s really cool stuff, but you’re right, it might not be accepted in some places. Do you know much about it? I wonder if it gets a patina, rusts, etc. Theirs looked brand new and beautiful.

3. Shirley says:

April 23rd, 2009 at 7:15 pm (#)

They inherited money? How is that house possible with those jobs?

4. kitpollard says:

April 24th, 2009 at 12:25 pm (#)

I don’t really know anything about it. My neighborhood is right on the city line, but it’s sort of old suburban – houses built in the 40’s and 50’s with decent-sized yards. Some neighbors who are into design and some who are definitely not very edgy…

April 24th, 2009 at 12:34 pm (#)

I think it could add a new fabric to the neighborhood and be pretty cool. If everyone had white picket fences, then I’d say it’s probably a no!

6. Shirley says:

April 25th, 2009 at 6:29 am (#)

OH! They inherited money! The American dream…your grandparents work hard so you can hire architects and garden designers.

April 25th, 2009 at 6:35 am (#)

Shirley, they both sounded like very talented, creative, and hard-working people to me. If someone inherits money (did they? who cares?), what’s the problem with buying a home ? This is not a palace and it certainly does not seem like a frivolous purchase.

8. Shirley says:

April 25th, 2009 at 5:45 pm (#)

I was just curious and did a little research because it seemed there is no way one could afford a one point five MILLION dollar house plus after renovations at that age and with those jobs. Yes, she comes from big money. Although it was not an entirely journalistic piece it did make them sound hard working which is NOT how they could afford that house. I don’t have a problem with wealthy people at all… But they do play by different rules. I think you should though revise your comment about people from RISD having great collections to RICH people having great collections… And if you think spending millions of dollars on a house is not extravagent,you would fit right in. I am glad they are living the dream and I am sure her grandfather, the founder of a grocery chain, would be happy for them as well and that is why he left his progeny money. I wouldn’t want your average worker to think they should be able to afford these things lest they take out loans they can’t handle due to their covetous nature.

9. Shirley says:

April 25th, 2009 at 6:08 pm (#)

“How does it improve our lives and set the standard for the next generation? Good design responds to society’s needs and helps shape its values.” from your own definition. Why not have a dialogue about this…0it doesn’t seem at all frivolous to you to have full grown trees brought in by a crane? And indeed it is shaping values for the next generation as the neighbor wanted their kids to see the spectacle. It is a bit excessive. I think it would be fruitful to discuss this and people should read these articles for the subtext and not fuel for their covetous fantasies. I would love to find out what others think of this to aid me in my own thinking if it seems incorrect.

April 25th, 2009 at 7:05 pm (#)

Shirley, my comment about RISD was regarding the fact that she had a lot of art that her friends had created. While full grown trees brought in by crane are not my bag (and they generally won’t grow much more after that – basically, they won’t grow one year for each year old they are), I don’t have a problem with this house. THere is certainly a lot more ostentatiousness and excess going on than a modest Victorian with a killer and in my opinion thoughtful and beautiful renovation in this world. In fact, I have one on either side of my cottage at the moment. If I want to complain, I complain about the McMansion Noveau Riche people who have closed off the public beach access at their homes on Nantucket, who contribute to the convoy of SUVs that have overtaken the cobblestone streets. This home does not bother me a bit, and I do covet it.

11. grasshopper says:

April 28th, 2009 at 8:04 am (#)

wow Shirley,

thank you so much – I appreciate your comments so much. I think its really important to understand how much these dreams really cost. thank you for your opinion (and research), its really nice to read in this context (at the exact place we highlight and covet [great word] these lifestyles). i love the house and dream of having one like it some day, but it will be within my budget (without inheritance) and hopefully a bit more grounded (ill wait for my trees to grow). i wish them and you the very best!

12. Boston Bachelorette Parties says:

May 11th, 2009 at 9:48 am (#)

Thanks for the interesting posts.