Thursday, April 9th, 2009

POP Goes The Table…

14 Comments » | Published in General  |  14 Comments

Some of you know that I am HOPELESSLY addicted to The Real Housewives of NYC (and ATL…and Oh Lord, from the NJ preview there will simply be WAY too much decor to make fun of – tassels and roosters and fringe and leather and fake French Chateau and fake Italian Villa EVERYWHERE; I might just spontaneously combust). I look forward to watching this crap all day long on Tuesdays. Yes, I realize that is probably sad.

Anyway, a little background for the table: Jill had her condo made over by her gay husband Brad (pictured above). Keep in mind that Jill’s family business is fabric. Jill thinks she is going from “traditional girl” to “mid-century modern girl.” It’s Hollywood Regency gone way WAY WAY WAY awry Jill. There are turquoise foo dogs EVERYWHERE, not to mention mirrors, crystals, lacquer, harlequin prints, python walls, elephants, birds, abstract sculptural objects…

So, Brad has “marked his territory all over the apartment,” starting with this table. Brad claims this is a custom made work of art and that the scratches on it are part of the art. He says it says “POP”; I say if I had it I would make it say “OPP” as a tribute to Naughty by Nature and my friend Sallie Davis, who used to request that song at every party or bar we set foot in, and she even carried her own mixtape around with her when she went out in case the bartender didn’t have it. Without further ado, the table:

What do you think? Do you think it will look better with stuff on top of it, as Brad claims? How would you arrange the letters? Is this too wannabe Jonathan Adler or do you like it? Can you picture a more appropriate context for it than Jill’s apartment? I feel like there is one out there, but I can’t conjure it up just yet. Maybe at Snap or Crackle’s house? I just don’t know!

Jill loves the apartment minus the tables, so that’s all that matters.

Filed under General  |  14 Comments

1. eastcoastmom says:

April 9th, 2009 at 5:00 pm (#)

One more addict… Love to hate this show, very entertaining. Indeed.

Kinda liked the POP table, right for Jill and her place.

April 9th, 2009 at 5:47 pm (#)

eastcoastmom, it’s sooo entertaining. I died when Bethenny described the place as Liberace, Versace, like, La Cucarachie, but it is perfect for Jill and her big personality. I’d love to have a cocktail with Bethenny and Jill – the are hilarious!

3. Ivory Pearl Interiors says:

April 12th, 2009 at 4:22 pm (#)

I’ll have to check out this show. I’ve never seen it before.

4. Cathy says:

April 12th, 2009 at 5:23 pm (#)

Don’t those tables also offer the opportunity to spell out ‘odd’ ? Seems somehow fitting. I can’t get addicted to Real Housewives, I just can’t. There are only so many TV hours in the day, and my addicted list is already so long.

5. franki durbin says:

April 14th, 2009 at 5:22 am (#)

cathy, you nailed it! “odd” is exactly what I thought of those in the apartment. There’s a difference between being statement pieces and sticking out like a sore thumb. Didn’t like those one bit.

Any becky, agreed – bethenny is a genius in the art of clever phrasing. she’s sharp as a whip!

6. Judy Cross says:

April 14th, 2009 at 11:48 am (#)

Poop on Pretentious

7. nycbill says:

April 14th, 2009 at 2:25 pm (#)

they just don’t go with the apartment…..like the apt or not….the tables are just “odd”

8. Jessica says:

April 15th, 2009 at 4:38 am (#)

I think in the right space they could be playful and appropriate…but not here.

Is there actually anything mid-century modern about this place? It just looks overly done to me…

April 15th, 2009 at 6:57 am (#)

Jessica, no, not one thing says mid-c modern to me. According to last night’s episode, the apartment will be featured in the May issue of Traditional Home. I didn’t see the POP tables at the shoot, nor was Brad invited by Jill to be in any of the pictures.

10. Krisse says:

April 20th, 2009 at 10:57 am (#)

Way too much. The whole thing was so last year. The livingroom seems to be so small and skinny. The sectional do not look comfortable and inviting at all. The POOP table is the least of the problem here.

11. POPlover says:

April 29th, 2009 at 11:21 am (#)

Where can I buy these tables? I love them!!! Seriously does anyone know where I can get them?

12. axc says:

July 5th, 2009 at 8:03 am (#)

Who makes these tables? Anyone know?

July 5th, 2009 at 9:43 am (#)

Axc, I threw it away, but this apartment was featured in Traditional Home (May?) perhaps you can find out in that issue – it’s on the cover. I thought Brad said that they were “custom,” but he seemed really full of it about everything…

14. axc says:

July 5th, 2009 at 5:37 pm (#)

HA! Brad-Thnks for info!