Monday, April 6th, 2009

Karen and Andy From Olli & Lime Share Their Flat Renovation

Ali

Posted by Ali | View all posts by Ali
20 Comments » | Published in DIY, DP Designer Posts, House Tours, modern inspiration  |  20 Comments

Andy, Olli & LimeOlli & Lime founders Karen and Andy share their UK flat renovation story. Keep an eye out for the lime green…it makes me drool. Enjoy!

Karen and I live in a condo within a large Victorian-style building converted into flats in the mid-eighties. It was very run down when we bought it but full of potential with high ceilings, large windows on all sides and plenty of light.

Olli & Lime flat

I was sure it was right for us but Karen took some convincing. With hindsight, I think she realized how much work was ahead, having renovated a few properties before. I’d never done anything like this so ploughed ahead in blissful ignorance!

Our motivation for the interior and the layout came from a love of large loft-style apartments typical of New York. We had a desire to replicate that, at least until we could afford the real thing!

First, we stripped everything out, removed all the old carpets, shelves, units etc until we had a blank canvas.

Olli & Lime Flat Renovation

Then we took off all the doors, widened and heightened each doorway and knocked down a few walls, improving the flow throughout. We re-plastered, painted everything white and laid walnut flooring.

Olli & Lime Hall

We lived with white for a while before adding feature walls in the lounge, office and bedroom.

Olli & Lime Bedroom

Our taste is minimal and contemporary but with a retro twist, pretty much like our kids designs, so you’ll notice seventies-esque patterned wallpaper in the lounge, offset by a few designer classics.

Olli & Lime Living Room

We’ve used a color scheme that’s very much in the Olli & Lime palette, so you’ll see brown, white and orange and even a lime green kitchen! The contrasting concrete countertop was a real triumph actually and is always a talking point for new visitors.

Olli & Lime Kitchen

Renovating has been really satisfying, particularly because we had a shared vision of what we wanted to achieve. Almost a year on, as we continue to add our own touches, we still look around at what we’ve created and smile.

Thanks, Andy and Karen! You can see all of their Olli & Lime products on DP.

***Special side note! Karen and Andy were nice enough to offer a 20% discount on all EGG products for this weekend only (April 10-13, inclusive). Use coupon code OLLIEGG at checkout. If you get the connection between the egg products and the holiday this weekend you are really smart.

About Ali

I enjoy wood paneled station wagons, German food and senior citizens (I am 80 years old at heart). Nearly every weekend I am taking photos at other people's weddings and I have a blog of my own (but I don't update it often enough). I love to paint, sew and knit. Check out my DP Staff profile on Hatch.

1. sunny says:

April 6th, 2009 at 4:35 pm (#)

I love the bedroom. And the color used in the kitchen!

2. Charissa says:

April 6th, 2009 at 8:54 pm (#)

Can anyone tell me about the bedspread? I love the print.

3. Nancy says:

April 7th, 2009 at 8:18 am (#)

The bedspread is an Orla Keily print. She’s an Irish clothing and home furnishings designer. Target is selling some of her dishes and mugs.

4. Ali says:

April 7th, 2009 at 8:23 am (#)

Hey Charissa,

The bedspread is an Orla Kiely duvet : http://www.orlakiely.com/uk.cfm/house/bed/Multi_Stem_Print/_/

I want one too!

Ali

5. Michelle@Everyday Celebrating says:

April 7th, 2009 at 9:36 am (#)

wow! That’s striking!

6. john says:

April 7th, 2009 at 11:40 am (#)

Very nice! However I wish you would have left the original moldings over the doors, windows etc. In 10 years when this is out of style you will wish it had the original look. You could have done the same thing with the victorian moldings and it would have looked hella cool!

Love the place!

7. Charissa says:

April 7th, 2009 at 2:53 pm (#)

Thanks for your replies! No wonder there was something familiar about it – I recently saw her Target ads.

8. Andy Lacey says:

April 8th, 2009 at 3:35 am (#)

Thanks to everyone for their comments. Great that you seem to like what we’ve done.

@John

Unfortunately there were no original mouldings left when we bought the place. The 80s conversion saw to that! Criminal really :-(

We did have the option of trying to re-create these features but that would have just been fake so we decided to go for a minimal approach.

One day we hope to own a loft-style church/factory conversion with period features intact but, for now at least, we’re very happy with what we’ve achieved!

9. becky says:

April 8th, 2009 at 9:05 am (#)

What a gorgeous space! I especially love the floors and that kitchen faucet.

80′s renovations did such horrible damage all over the world! And for what, mirrored walls and Hollywood lights? Sad.

becky

10. Trina says:

April 8th, 2009 at 10:47 am (#)

LOVE the bedroom paint color! What brand and color did you use?

11. Valerie says:

April 9th, 2009 at 2:07 pm (#)

I really like the floors too, were they original or something else? Great Job!

12. Lawrence says:

April 9th, 2009 at 10:42 pm (#)

Nice kitchen unit. Are those steel cabinet doors or high gloss and where did you get them from? The handles look like they came from St. Charles Cabinetry.

13. Lisa Canning says:

April 11th, 2009 at 3:32 am (#)

Hey there- what a fantastic space! Love some info on the wallpaper in the living room. Great post : )

14. Andy Lacey says:

April 13th, 2009 at 3:12 am (#)

A few questions here so I’ll do my best to answer them…

-The bedroom paint is from a UK DIY store and the color is ‘sage’
    -The floors are American Black Walnut throughout
    -The kitchen cabinets are high gloss from Howdens (UK trade)
    -The handles we bought online – can’t remember the supplier
    -The wallpaper in the living room is from Graham & Brown

Thanks for your interest : )

15. eggciting hatch mention! « says:

April 13th, 2009 at 5:05 am (#)

[...] here is a belated thanks to our wonderful retail partner Design Public who recently posted about our home on their Hatch blog. Team member Ali asked us to talk about our renovation so [...]

16. Dabitch says:

April 14th, 2009 at 12:36 am (#)

The walnut floor is stunningly gorgeous – I had no idea walnut could look that good. Shame that the original mouldings were already gone, we have had the same problem in our renovation project apartment and have opted for recreating old style by buying used or in some cases making new mouldings in the old style, which is working out quite well as we get the old look but with the door openings where we want them and the walls perfectly straight. I adore your kitchen, was never a fan of concrete but with the lime green it really works quite well.

17. Carpet Cleaning Edinburgh says:

September 28th, 2009 at 2:50 pm (#)

loving the sittingroom!

18. Home Renovation From the Founders of Olli & Lime | Seasonal home decoration blog says:

April 15th, 2011 at 3:29 pm (#)

[...] Read more here. [...]

19. Chau Sinarath says:

October 1st, 2011 at 6:56 am (#)

Hey just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The text in your post seem to be running off the screen in Firefox. I’m not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with web browser compatibility but I thought I’d post to let you know. The design and style look great though! Hope you get the problem resolved soon. Kudos

20. homepage says:

October 5th, 2013 at 7:41 am (#)

Is there any Trade schools to learn carpentry in the NYC area?