Monday, March 23rd, 2009

A Loft Renovation

5 Comments » | Published in Architecture, Design on the Web, Design Press, House Tours, Lofts, modern inspiration  |  5 Comments

I tend to think that loft renovations I see in magazines and newspapers are all more or less the same, but this one really struck a  cord with me – last Thursday The NYimes featured the mega renovation of Billy Morrissette’s SoHo loft, filling the story with analogies about moving back to NYC from L.A., darkness in the original space and Morrissette’s status as recently divorced and depressed, etc. etc.  In spite of all that, what I really liked about the story was the collaborative relationship he had with his architect, and that even though he was spending hundreds of thousands on the reno, he was not above building a dining room table out of poplar and IKEA legs, turning an old suitcase into a table, or using soundproofing material to make a headboard. You could really see this guy’s personality through his place; I know I’d walk in and say “I want to get to know the person who lives here.” Check out the full article and slideshow here.

photos by Fred R. Conrad for The New York Times

1. michelle says:

March 23rd, 2009 at 7:55 am (#)

a bit of friendly adivce: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ny/dmca-take-down-notice-the-nytimes-goes-to-war-wants-to-shut-us-down-079672
    I might avoid nyt articles, i know i am

(amzing loft though)

2. becky says:

March 23rd, 2009 at 8:37 am (#)

Wow Michelle, THANKS! I haven’t been catching up on the blogs I read lately so I had not seen this. I always assumed (you know what they say about assuming…) that in the blogosphere, if you are directing traffic to a site that gets its revenue from hits that they’d be grateful, provided that one gives links and credit to the photographer. The NYTimes Thursday home section is always one of my favorite design sources. What a bummer. I’m going to look into this more, and prepare to take down the many many posts where I’ve posted their photos and linked to their articles!

3. Home Interior Design Themes says:

March 23rd, 2009 at 9:28 am (#)

This apartment reminds me very much of the Berlin styles you see in the centre of the city in large flats. I love the character of the designs in these photos. Some of the accompanying art is terrific.

4. Dana says:

March 24th, 2009 at 1:28 am (#)

Wow! the wooden floor, red brick walls are simply gorgeous. Unique idea of using soundproofing material for headboard.

Sounds good!

5. Margarita says:

April 26th, 2009 at 12:46 pm (#)

A place like that would cost millions in London! still I can dream with that amount of space, I just found this blog and I am loving it. Thanks