Monday, March 2nd, 2009

You, Me and the Bus

6 Comments » | Published in Architecture, Art and Artists, Contests, Design on the Web, Design Press, Events & Exhibitions, Modern Transit, Public Space, Urban Planning  |  6 Comments

Athens GA has always been a cool town – not only the birthplace of great bands, but also a place where visual arts and architecture are celebrated. For example, right now they are in the middle of You, Me, and the Bus phase II. After phase one, four artist-designed bus shelters were constructed around town. The competition for the eight additional shelters is wrapping up as I write this. This is a perfect combination of public art form applied to an everyday function. Such shelters are usually banal and uninspired.

Has your town had its version of the Cincinnati pigs, the Chicago cows, the Outer Banks dolphins, what have you? I’m hard-pressed to find a city that hasn’t had some version of that project. Isn’t this shelter project a much better and original use of public art funds? What types of public art do you have in your neck of the woods? Would these shelters make you a little more likely to want to take the bus?

photo one by Trevor Frey for Athens Online

photo two by John W. English for the AJC

1. Sally says:

March 2nd, 2009 at 12:48 pm (#)

Wow, those photos are totally awesome!

March 2nd, 2009 at 12:55 pm (#)

I wish I could have found the other two online, but these seemed to be the only two floating around the web right now. I guess when they exhibit the new winners, it will be a good excuse to go up to B-52s/REM/10,000 Maniacs mecca!

3. kitpollard says:

March 3rd, 2009 at 10:09 am (#)

Those are so cool! So much cooler than the crabs all over Baltimore. Which I actually don’t mind – I mean, I love crabs – but these are just so much more functional and interesting.

4. Jen Singh says:

March 5th, 2009 at 11:22 am (#)

I have to go back to Athens soon and check these out, I can’t believe I didn’t know about this project-so great!

March 5th, 2009 at 11:58 am (#)

Jen, check out their website to see if you want to wait for eight more to be built. I think there are currently four of them around town, and they are getting ready to reveal the winners of the contest to design the next eight stops.

I am ashamed that I have lived in Atlanta for seven years and I still haven’t made it to Athens!

becky

6. Boston Bachelorette Parties says:

May 11th, 2009 at 9:39 am (#)

Ah, I love this! So clever.