Thursday, February 19th, 2009

Downsizing and Simplifying: Mitt Romney

6 Comments » | Published in Architecture, Other Blogs, Real estate  |  6 Comments

I just got my internet going for the first time since this morning (comcast – ugh!) and now I am GORGING. While catching up on the latest Huffington Post entries, I perused the slide show of Mitt Romney’s humble ski chalet in Deer Valley Utah. Apparently, the Romneys are “downsizing and simplifying.” Maybe he’s going to follow the current hot political trend of thinking about Abe Lincoln, and trading down for a one-room log cabin. Can you imagine how much it would cost to heat this massive manor? It is 9,500 square feet. They have so many lights on for this photo that at first glance I thought it was on fire. I’m just picturing those energy meters going around and around at warp speed when I look at this:

I’m all for big timber, stone fireplaces, and a bit of hokey-ness in a mountain house, but the decor in this thing is so over-the-top fugly it makes me retch. In a 5.25 million dollar house, I expect a little better. Some of those light fixtures belong in the ugly lighting hall of fame. Ugh, and that wooden cowhide-covered coffee table, words escape me:

For another ridiculous ski lodge on the market, click here.

images from previewutah.com, via thehuffingtonpost.com

1. Kathryn Chapman says:

February 22nd, 2009 at 6:20 pm (#)

Get over it. Haven’t you something better to do than comment on people’s decorating tastes. We have REAL problems in this country – why don’t you try doing something constructive

2. becky says:

February 22nd, 2009 at 7:47 pm (#)

Um, this is a design blog, not a problems of this country blog. I don’t really have to “get over it,” I’m just making fun of it. I don’t stay up at night thinking about how people who totally ignored the state of Massachusetts while concentrating on a ridiculous, ill-fated run for president decorate, I just ENJOY poking fun at their personal wastefulness (and horrible taste) in a time when the ecology and the economy are in deep trouble.

becky

3. becky says:

February 23rd, 2009 at 4:21 am (#)

By the way Kathryn, if you happen to be looking for something CONSTRUCTIVE to do yourself, may I suggest Second Grade Language Arts, Chapter One: Punctuation. It will tell you all about these crazy things like question marks, periods, how to use an apostrophe, and what a sentence is. Good luck to you with that.

4. Laura says:

April 21st, 2009 at 1:25 pm (#)

When I saw this mansion; funny, I thought the same
    thing. This person has no real touch with reality.
    This man knows zero about the poor working man and
    I am sure, he never will.
    The ticket price for the Salt lake City Olympics
    were so over priced that most Utahans never got to
    even go. But they did get to volunteer to help the
    other rich people enjoy a good time at our expense.
    The other thing I thought of was, how can a man who
    lives so richly ever help the working class of Amercia?

5. Terri says:

August 16th, 2010 at 11:53 am (#)

Laura:
    As Becky said, this is a design website, but I thought your comment is ridiculous. The owner of that “cabin” is a successful intelligent business man, and there’s nothing wrong in being wealthy. As a matter of fact, Romney obviously has the intelligence needed (but, oh so lacking in our current admin.), to turn around this country from its current sad indebted state. Regrettably our current admin has no clue as to how to relate to the “working class” American either. If you think about it, most politicians don’t. Becky… did I puctuate properly?!

August 16th, 2010 at 12:54 pm (#)

Well yes, but the word is “puNctuate”…