Friday, November 28th, 2008

Shared Bicycles

11 Comments » | Published in Green Design  |  11 Comments

One of the coolest things I saw in Paris were the community bikes. Like Zipcar here in the states, the Velib bikes are located in rental stands all over the city. For a small yearly fee, you can pick one up, cycle over to your destination and return it to a stand like the one photographed below. If you are just visiting, you can pick up a 7-day pass for 5 Euros.I started searching around for programs like this in the states and I found this pilot program at M.I.T. and an article from Time that had eluded me. Apparently, the program has either arrived here in the states or is on its way to a city near you. Do you have a bike sharing program in your city, or have you seen them anywhere in the states yet?

Velib bikes

Filed under Green Design  |  11 Comments

1. dsgnr says:

November 28th, 2008 at 9:20 am (#)

There’s a bike sharing project recently launched in Milan: http://www.bikemi.com/

2. patricia gray says:

November 28th, 2008 at 4:01 pm (#)

What a great plan. We don’t have this in our city yet (Vancouver), although ours isn’t the safest city to cycle in, unlike Europe.

3. Codi says:

December 1st, 2008 at 11:45 am (#)

There is a similar program in my home town of Ashland WI. Community bikes are painted bright yellow and are free to take and leave at your leisure, to and from public places. Although some bikes are stolem or ruined from time to time – overall it is a very successfull program for the past 6 years!

December 1st, 2008 at 6:57 pm (#)

Codi, that’s so cool. I wish there was a website keeping track of all the places where this is happening – it’s a great trend. I sure noticed a lot more people biking to work in Atlanta when we ran out of gas a few months ago.

5. bethany says:

December 2nd, 2008 at 4:45 pm (#)

We had tons of bike rentals during the Democratic national Convention here in denver it was great they were free to rent and easily returned only a few were lost/destroyed and there is discussion about continuing them again which i thnk would be great!

December 2nd, 2008 at 7:32 pm (#)

Bethany, that is so cool. I think Denver (or was it Boulder) was mentioned in an article I found as the next place for the pilot program. It seems like it would be a good way to recycle unused bikes as well. Personally, I gave mine to my mover three moves back when he laughed at me that the rubber thingees were still on the tires, proving I had ridden in about three times (in my defense, I lived off Rio Road in Charlottesville, which was pretty treacherous to take anywhere in a car, much less a bike).

7. apple says:

December 3rd, 2008 at 7:55 pm (#)

my former university has a biking program and the bikes are beautifully designed too

December 4th, 2008 at 11:05 am (#)

Hey Apple! Wow, I’m so glad this post is generating some sources for these types of programs. Let’s hope they spread like wildfire all across the world!

9. Julie says:

December 4th, 2008 at 12:01 pm (#)

We have it in Washington D.C.

10. Hatch: The Design Public ® Blog » Blog Archive » In Case You Missed It: Around the Web This Week says:

January 23rd, 2009 at 9:59 am (#)

[...] in urban planning and is now Boston’s Bike Czar. rallying for bike share programs (like this one I told you about in Paris) and better bike [...]

11. Rick Price says:

January 24th, 2009 at 7:56 am (#)

Fort Collins, Colorado, home of New Belgium “Fat Tire Amber Ale,” started a bike share program – the Fort Collins Bike Library – in April 2008 to rave reviews. By June 2009 the program will have 200 bikes, many made up by the Fort Collins Bike Co-op from found and abandoned bikes given to the Co-op by the City of Fort Collins. Funded, initially, from a grant through the federal CMAQ proram (Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality) once funding runs out the program will have to become self-sufficient and will rely on low tech volunteers vs. the high tech “swipe and go” of larger programs.