Monday, October 20th, 2008

DIY Bike Lanes in GOOD Magazine

10 Comments » | Published in Design Magazines, Design on the Web, Design Press, Green Design, Urban Planning  |  10 Comments

When you want something done right, do it yourself! I loved this article about a group of guerilla bike-lane makers that I read in this month’s issue of GOOD. When a group called The Other/Official Urban Repair Squad (OURS) was unhappy that officials in Toronto “backed out of a plan to expand the city’s bike lanes,” the group  painted the lanes in themselves. I haven’t seen this kind of action since Kramer decided to widen the lanes of his Adopted Highway mile on the L.I.E. on Seinfeld. While looking for this article online, I discovered another another article about bike lane abuse. If you are frustrated with trucks double-parking and blocking your bike lane, snap a shot and submit it to mybikelane.com, a site where people tattle on these abusers:

Personally, I’d like to start a site like this with my collection of shots of “the jerk builders next door keep blocking my driveway.” So far I have experienced this 16 times. At least this idiot actually moved when my friend Heather honked to let me know she was waiting out front to pick me up:

The bottom line is, where has common courtesy gone? In this time of high gas prices (and recently in Atlanta, no gas available at all), people need to learn to share the road with bicyclists. They have just as much of a right to use the road as cars do, and unlike cars, they are not leaving a carbon footprint when they are on the move. They are supposed to follow the same rules that cars do, and people driving cars need to share the road with cyclists with courtesy and respect. If this occurred, separate lanes for bikes would not even be necessary.

Photo Credits:

• tvol for mybikelane.com
  • yours truly, frustrated, considering egging, and generally going bat-sh** crazy over the never-ending, noisy construction of the ugly, oversized, anything but “Craftsman,” eroding the land, clearing part of my woods for the sewage line they ruined in the teardown process, grading right up to my garage and leaving a 6′ drop without putting up any sort of safety fence, cutting down beautiful Tulip Poplars that were well over 100 years old,  working over 12 hours six days per week, leaving trash all over the lot that blows onto my property, blocking my driveway several times per week McMansion next door. I’ve completely lost it!

1. Terry Kearns says:

October 21st, 2008 at 9:07 am (#)

I feel for you on the construction vehicles on a narrow street. They’ve done 3 houses on our little dead end in the last couple of years. The delivery guys were almost always courteous. They just wanted to make their delivery and get out. But most didn’t know they were heading down a dead end! They wasted a lot of time down this street.

When the giant moving van came, they backed all they way down the narrow street for 2 blocks. I went out and shook the driver’s hand.

I’m more upset by the garbage truck drivers who trash our circle nearly every week. They just don’t try:

October 21st, 2008 at 9:28 am (#)

Oh my gosh, I am amazed that the basketball hoop is still standing! WOW! Is the turning radius too tight for the truck or do they just not care?

My house is shaking, as it has been since 8 a.m. I actually met the owner of the house today – the project manager doesn’t even bother to answer my calls anymore. I know I am a thorn in his side, but I don’t care. Today I noticed that they graded over onto my side of the property line over four feet. They left a bunch of mud where the woods used to be. They also dug up a bunch of my yard to get to the sewer main they trashed when they did demo. I’m totally losing it!

3. Charlie says:

October 21st, 2008 at 11:15 am (#)

Can’t you call the city. They must have a building permit for this. Maybe you can get some help through that. What did the owner say ?

October 21st, 2008 at 11:24 am (#)

Charlie, I’ve tried every office in the city of Atlanta. I got one guy from Erosion Control to come out months ago – he called me back once, I missed his call, and now I can’t get a hold of him. For the six grand I pay in property taxes to the city of Atlanta every year, they are freaking useless. At this point, I think a lawyer would be too expensive to be worth it. I can’t believe someone would have the gall to grade someone else’s property and leave a big pile of mud.

Thanks for letting me vent!

5. Terry Kearns says:

October 21st, 2008 at 7:53 pm (#)

A neighbor raised holy ___ about a tear down next door to him. He wouldn’t allow them to set foot on his property. He called the police more than once and threatened to many more times.

In my case (the tear down across the street) I knew that most of the workers and delivery guys at least tried and that they’d eventually be gone. But somebody called the building inspectors more than once, particularly about the mess and runoff. The owner paid fines, went to court, and spent extra money and time dealing with the inspectors.

Surly they at least have a silt fence on your property line?

Whatever the economy, they tore down another house on my street 3 weeks ago. They are building new “luxury” apartments to the east of me and blasting about once a day this week – very cool.

October 21st, 2008 at 8:22 pm (#)

The silt fence was inside my property by 4 feet, and was all graded right up to it! The first month, piles of dirt spilled over the silt fence and I called erosion control. It’s really hard to get anyone out to help or call back here in Atlanta. It sucks! Since they block my driveway at least 2 times per week, clearly there is no courtesy or consideration. I was cool and understanding for about a month, now I’ve lost all my marbles! The next car in front of my driveway is going to get egged.

7. Khurt says:

October 22nd, 2008 at 8:03 am (#)

Personally, I would park my car in front of my driveway like the truck did in the photo. That way they would have to come get you to move your car and … you can nonchalantly ignore them and thereby disrupting their work.

8. Khurt says:

October 22nd, 2008 at 8:04 am (#)

I actually came home one night and found the neighbors guests parked in my drive way. There is no on street parking on my street and they did not want to walk down the block from the main road.

9. Charlie says:

October 22nd, 2008 at 8:05 am (#)

Or call the Traffic dept and have it towed. Take copious photos of everything so that you have proof. Im so sorry this is happening to you – what a nightmare. One would think that once you live in a house and not an apartment , things are different. But alas no. I have contemplated moving to an island, as at least then I won’t have neighbors.

10. In Case You Missed It: Around the Web This Week :: Hatch: The Design Public® Blog says:

September 10th, 2010 at 10:04 am (#)

[...] bike lane light post over at Shelterrific. It’s from Good magazine, where we learned about guerrilla bike lanes a few months [...]