Sunday, October 12th, 2008

Palm Springs Modern: Mad Men Heads West

25 Comments » | Published in Architecture, Decorating Modern, Design TV, Hollywood Regency, Preserving Modern Architecture, Set Decoration, Vintage Looks, Vintage Modern, modern inspiration  |  25 Comments

We already knew that the set directors of AMC’s Mad Men are geniuses. On this week’s episode called “Jet Set,” we find Don Draper in California in an amazing modern house in Palm Springs. Does anyone know which house this is? It was decorated to perfection – a white background, warm wood accents, colorful glass bottles and lamps, red womb chairs, a Saarinen tulip table, red foo dogs, modern paintings, funky screen walls, striped glassware, perfectly styled bookshelves, wall sculptures and light fixtures, an amazing pool area and even a light blue telephone. Here I sit late on a Sunday night taking pictures of my television set because the AMC.com gallery does not have any good shots of the locations and sets.

I can’t decide who the bigger geniuses are, the Mad Men set designers or costume designers. The whole show provides the best eye candy, with one exception. Even after a makeover, Peggy’s bangs still have that horrible goofy part in the middle:

1. Caralea says:

October 12th, 2008 at 9:27 pm (#)

It looks like Frank Sinatra’s former house in Palm Springs.
    Photos:

October 12th, 2008 at 9:45 pm (#)

I just saw the redesign of that house in a magazine this month. I had no idea it could be rented! I don’t think that’s it though. It’s funny, I though to myself “that place is so Jonathan Adler” but then I thought “Jonathan Adler is so Palm Springs” and thought about how the historic precedent, Adler’s work that’s inspired by it, and this particular location related to one another. Especially the foo dogs!

becky

3. Stratos says:

October 13th, 2008 at 2:06 am (#)

I love Mad Men, and yes, the decors are amazing!

4. Hermenautic Circle blog » Mad Men Goes Palm Springs says:

October 13th, 2008 at 8:29 am (#)

[...] Observer: Observed on 13 Oct 2008 Anyone know what Palm Springs Modern house Mad Men’s Don Draper went to in last night’s episode? Early bets say it might be Twin Palms, [...]

5. Joe says:

October 13th, 2008 at 9:43 am (#)

Mad Men gets Draper’s suburban (Ossining, NY?) home all wrong though. A guy like Draper (and his wife) would have a much nicer and probably either contemporary (Modern) design or simply a much bigger house in square footage. Especially by the mid 1960s for sure. He would be living in Fairfield County or Westchester too.
    The house they have is too small and the decoration is much lower on the pay scale than a partner for an ad agency.
    My Dad was an accountant and later a Controller at a large international manufacturing company in Fairfield County in the late 50s though 1967. His income was not anywhere near Draper’s. But my Mom bought fairly nice contemporary furniture (all modern) and they lived in a bigger house with a bigger yard. If the accountants in Connecticut can live better, Draper is living too low on the income scale for housing and decor.
    Mad Men set designers need to bump him up (if his marriage recovers).

6. Peter Keenan says:

October 13th, 2008 at 9:48 am (#)

I think the home in question is the Fox Residence in Chatsworth, CA. As I understand it, Mr. Sinatra once owned the home. We shot a commercial there in 2007.

October 13th, 2008 at 9:52 am (#)

Hi Joe! INTERESTING!

I think this show captures the time in transition from the 50s to what you describe. Also, it captures Don in transition; remember that he just became a partner since the show began and basically doubled his salary. It would be a great set twist to see if he and Betty move on up and get more contemporary in their tastes as the sixties progress, especially after Don attended the rocket science conference. It’s true; the office sets are definitely 50s modern while Betty and Don’s home is still very traditional.

I think the show really gets the zeitgeist of the turbulent times when it takes place – integration in the South, NASA technology, divorce becoming more common, women breaking through the glass ceiling, etc. etc. I love seeing this reflected in the costumes and sets!

8. Peter Keenan says:

October 13th, 2008 at 10:33 am (#)

My location scout photo’s match the Fox Residence in Chatsworth, CA

October 13th, 2008 at 11:53 am (#)

Peter, thank you! Which commercial was it? I just checked out the link to your name and you have some hilarious commercials, especially the Old Spice ones!

becky

10. Peter Keenan says:

October 13th, 2008 at 12:02 pm (#)

Becky, Unfortunately the commercial in question did not pass creative muster and therefore is not on our site. I can only tell you that some cleaning products were filmed that day. Industry or Art?…hmm, you choose.

October 13th, 2008 at 12:05 pm (#)

I can imagine that house requires a lot of glass cleaner!

12. Pipe says:

October 13th, 2008 at 7:55 pm (#)

Great screencaps Becky!

Can you tell me where you found that great pic of Peggy’s flip from Ep 12?

Thanks!

13. TB says:

October 13th, 2008 at 8:06 pm (#)

I’m positive that the house is the same one that was featured in Six Feet Under in season one: http://leblog.exuberance.com/2005/08/six_feet_under_.html

Designed by Ed Niles.

October 13th, 2008 at 9:32 pm (#)

Sure, that one is in the gallery from the episode in the Mad Men section of amc.com!

October 18th, 2008 at 12:00 pm (#)

TB, I just saw your comment. I wonder if it is Brenda’s parents’ house? The portico looks the same in those linked shots!

16. Bill says:

September 7th, 2009 at 8:17 am (#)

The house in the screenshots is not Sinatras Twin Palms. I have been in Twin Palms four times.

17. divabunny says:

September 11th, 2009 at 4:32 pm (#)

can anyone please provide a link to any photos of the Fox Residence in Chatsworth? I am gaga to see more of this beautiful home!!!

18. Smwhr… » “Tiens, une meuf à @smwhr” says:

April 12th, 2010 at 3:17 pm (#)

[...] du salon que Don Draper reprend ses esprits, assimile le rêve de ses deux nuits avec Joy dans une magnifique maison de Palm Springs en tant que tel. Il se souvient de ceux pour qui il compte, la femme à qui il a [...]

19. Erik says:

March 8th, 2011 at 1:42 pm (#)

I’m desperately ttrying to figure ou this riddle myself. The house was also featured in the latest Californication episode, season 4, episode 9. It’s white-painted brick on the outside, and it seems to be overlooking some sort of valley. It’s also located slightly above street level, so to speek. Theres a driveway that sort of wriggles up from the street it’s on.

March 8th, 2011 at 10:33 pm (#)

Check out Peter’s comment Erik! I think he found it. BTW, you are making me miss my Showtime. IN a money-saving effort, I’ve sacrificed some of my favorite shows!

21. Kim says:

April 16th, 2011 at 8:48 am (#)

Hi Becky, Here is some more info on this house. The Fox Residence is located at 9361 Farralone Ave. in Chatsworth, CA. It was designed by architects Pereira and Luckman in 1951. The architects did mainly commercial work and this is one of their few residential structures. It has been used extensively as a filming location (Dreamgirls (movie), Californication (Season 4, Episode 9), Mad Men (Season 2), Six Feet Under (Season 1), and Design Star – Season 4). Check out Google Satellite for a great aerial view. The estate is located up a long private drive. What an amazing home!Here is a link to some more pictures: http://blog.hgtv.com/design-star/2009/07/14/tour-the-hollywood-crib/

April 17th, 2011 at 8:18 pm (#)

THANKS KIM!!!! I need to re-watch 6 Feet Under; I thought I had all of those episodes known by heart! :)

23. Farralone – Frank Sinatra’s Former House | IAMNOTASTALKER says:

December 14th, 2011 at 8:28 am (#)

[...] to commenter Becky on the Design Public blog, I learned that in the Season 1 episode of Six Feet Under titled “An Open Book”, Farralone [...]

24. Jean says:

August 4th, 2013 at 1:13 pm (#)

Has anyone seen Couples Therapy on VH1? It’s been filmed each season in that house as well.

August 8th, 2013 at 6:42 am (#)

OK Jean, I don’t want to admit this but I totally watch that show (how gross is that weirdo from LOST?). Anyway, I never would have realized it was the same house, thanks for sharing!!! Becky