Thursday, September 4th, 2008

Top Design Junkyard

14 Comments » | Published in Design TV, Stores  |  14 Comments

Quick Question: Does anyone know the name of the L.A. “junkyard” where the contestants shopped on Top Design last night? The above shot of my TV is the only clue I have, and I tried to zoom in on the sign, but it was all a blur! I want to be able to share the information here – it looked like an amazing place full of architectural artifacts, vintage light fixtures, amazing iron gates, etc. In short, it looked like HEAVEN! What seemed like hell was only having an hour to spend there. I couldn’t believe people (well, at least the chick I’ve named “Vegas Baby” were complaining about shopping there! Bravotv.com is no help whatsoever; I’ve read every blog and every detail about the episode trying to figure it out for you all.

Filed under Design TV, Stores  |  14 Comments

1. JOHNNY RINGO says:

September 4th, 2008 at 10:11 am (#)

DITTO WHERE ARE BOTH OF THOSE PLACES?????!!!! The Junkyard and the Thrift Store?

2. JOHNNY RINGO says:

September 4th, 2008 at 10:14 am (#)

BTW, Kinda looks like the fence from the Junkyard in Pulp fiction, Where wolf drops the car off.

3. So Lovely says:

September 4th, 2008 at 11:06 am (#)

The junkyard might be Good Olde Things which is near the “lofts” in downtown. The thrift store looks very like the Saint Vincent de Paul at 210 North Ave 21 in LA. Its a great thrift store and huge. Its their main store.

September 4th, 2008 at 11:13 am (#)

So Lovely, thanks so much!!!

5. ofifteen says:

September 4th, 2008 at 2:24 pm (#)

very good question!

ofifteen
    ‘designing your life’

6. Tony says:

September 5th, 2008 at 12:07 am (#)

I have a big screen tv. The sign was about parking but nothing about the store name. From my research, I believe it to be either Pasadena Architectural Salvage or Silverlake Architectural Salvage. A third option is Santa Fe Wrecking. I’m gonna check it out.

7. Tony says:

September 5th, 2008 at 12:10 am (#)

PS the other store is definitely SV de Paul. There is even a thank you at the end of the show. The store never looks that orderly when I shop there, but there are some great finds every so often.

September 5th, 2008 at 7:29 am (#)

Tony and So Lovely, THANKS SO MUCH! A lot of people have been asking!

9. jessica says:

September 5th, 2008 at 8:59 pm (#)

I found it!
    The junkyard is called freeway building materials and it’s in Los Angeles on Boyle Avenue.
    There is a picture of the front and it matches your video clip.
    I looked at the credits at the end and it was listed right above SV de Paul.
    anyway, I think I’m probably right…here is the website…check it out.
    See you there!

September 6th, 2008 at 10:12 am (#)

Jessica, the CREDITS! As I’m sitting there like an idiot freezing the TV and trying to read the signs, it was there in the credits all the time! I feel so stupid! Thanks for the answers!

11. olevia says:

September 6th, 2008 at 6:23 pm (#)

Thank you guys so much for the names of the junkyard and thrift store My husband and I are going to check it out

12. Christyn says:

September 6th, 2008 at 9:30 pm (#)

THANK YOU so much for finding the place! I am going ASAP and will let you know how it goes!
    Wa-hoo!

13. Hatch: The Design Public ® Blog » Blog Archive » Top Design Junkyard - Answers Found! says:

September 8th, 2008 at 1:12 am (#)

[...] some suggestions that sound like great resources as well. Check out all the comments to the post here for some great L.A. treasure hunt [...]

14. Rebecca says:

September 12th, 2008 at 5:55 pm (#)

The thrift store is most definitely St. Vincent de Paul right near where 110 meets 5 (and is NOT definitely that clean and organized ever!) The junkyard is in Silverlake. We shop at both for display elements for the retail store that I work at!