Thursday, August 28th, 2008

If I Were Off to College I Would…Part Two of a Few: Seating

Ali

Posted by Ali | View all posts by Ali
5 Comments » | Published in College & Dorm, Decorating Modern  |  5 Comments

Sitting Bull

If I were (corrected: thanks Adam!) off to college I would…seriously think about where you plan to sit your tush. Although a new desk chair or couch may not be at the top of your “college dorm necessities” list…it could be the one piece of dorm furniture that no one else would think of which could then automatically make your room the preferred social spot. Think about it!

When I got to college our desks were supplied with hard and uber-ugly chairs. Not sure how I endured the couple of years of dorm room living looking at such things…let alone sitting on them. We also had the courage to loft our beds and purchase a $30 grandma looking couch from Goodwill which in hindsight was probably so full of germs or bugs I am surprised my roommate and I didn’t come down with odd diseases.

Granted, the majority of college students are not made of money, but I have a few ideas that can keep you away from pained rumps and a Grandma Mable inspired dorm room while also being something you’d actually want to keep after the school year is over…

#1: A Blu Dot Real Good Chair. Imagine going to school with your chair in a little box (a moving space saver!) and assembling the goods in front of your new found friends. They will be mystified and in awe with the process and even more so by the chair.

Blu Dot Real Good Chair

#2 and #3: Poofs and cubes. Rather than a desky-desk chair maybe a poof or cube is more your style…

Zid Zid Kids Poufs

Gus Design Group Jasper Cube Ottoman

And finally, #4: If your school bans couch burning at the end of the year it may be wise to avoid getting stuck with a massive piece of furniture to have to deal with. How’s about considering making your room into a lounge full of Sitting Bulls and Fatboys instead?

Fatboys

About Ali

I enjoy wood paneled station wagons, German food and senior citizens (I am 80 years old at heart). Nearly every weekend I am taking photos at other people's weddings and I have a blog of my own (but I don't update it often enough). I love to paint, sew and knit. Check out my DP Staff profile on Hatch.

1. Ali says:

August 28th, 2008 at 9:52 pm (#)

You are totally correct. I genuinely appreciate your grammatical help…perhaps I should go back to college! Ha!

2. Vanessa says:

August 30th, 2008 at 2:41 am (#)

It’s

I/he/she was.

They were.

Lots of people say I were because it sounds different and correct but it’s one of my english professors biggest peves.

I don’t even care what you put, but whoever adam is, he’s WRONG!! lol jk with the harshness. but he is.

3. becky says:

August 30th, 2008 at 11:36 am (#)

Yeah, I’m with Vanessa on this one. If I was. I think we should blame Fiddler on the Roof/Gwen Stefani for “If I Were a Rich Man/Girl.” The Thompson Twins had it right with “If I Was King for Just One Day…”

Personally my biggest grammatical pet peeve is the ubiquitous “very unique.” The two phrases I cannot stand the most are “think outside the box” and “grow your business.”

4. ali says:

September 3rd, 2008 at 8:41 am (#)

So I am still going back and forth with the “If I were” “If I was” conundrum…although “If I was” sounds better to me, it looks like “If I were” is actually correct. “I were” often follows the word “if” because “if” usually means you are wishing or imagining (The subjunctive form of the verb “to be”). Learn something new every day. Ok, grammar is boring. Moving on.

5. penelope says:

May 6th, 2010 at 9:09 pm (#)

One of the most common dorm room chairs are bean bags. A bean bag is a bag that is sealed and full of polystyrene beads. It is a very good type of seating for your dorm because it can save some space and is inexpensive. It is very light-weight, even the oversized ones, so it can be easily moved from one place to another, and can easily be kept if not in use so you can free more space in you dorm.