Tuesday, July 29th, 2008

Mad Men

11 Comments » | Published in Design on the Web, Vintage Looks, Vintage Modern, Workspace, modern inspiration  |  11 Comments

The biggest weasel in the world and his poor wife buy a 2 BR apartment with a terrace on 82nd Street for $3,500:

Thank you TV gods for putting one good show on this summer. Man Men started this past Sunday and looks like it will be even better than last season. We’ve jumped from the Nixon/Kennedy election to 14 months later, with Jackie decorating the White House and giving televised tours. While I’m grateful I don’t live in a time when sexism, racism, and anti-Semitism are rampant, I feel jealous of the era when I see the sets and costumes. Every last detail is perfect. I’m so glad AMC.com has added an extensive photo gallery, but I still couldn’t find all of the amazing restaurant sets from last season. There’s a shot where you can sort of see the fabulous zebra wallpaper, but I can’t find one of the one with the round leather booths and mini-knight statues that was pure Ian Schrager from last season. The sets incorporate so many styles – from coming out of a countrified plaid 50′s kitchen into a more modern regency look, from mid-century modern offices to Mr. Cooper’s office that he has set up as some sort of Japanese tea room where shoe removal is required.

A time when every office had a built-in bar and you could start getting smashed on scotch at 9:30 a.m. Perhaps this is how they came up with “Jesus over Rio”:

(I think I spy some Eva Zeisel china on the bar)

A time when you could smoke anytime, anywhere, including while babysitting or pregnant. Check out the crazy tree sculpture and lamp. This is at the neighborhood divorcee’s house:

It was a time when your traitor shrink called your husband to give him progress reports after every session, but at least you could smoke the whole time you talked to him and he said nothing to you. Why does every TV or movie shrink’s office look the same? This is supposed to be 1960 and it’s so similar to Dr. Melfi’s office on The Sopranos (especially the dancing statue) or any other shrinks office set. I love the Mies daybed, the mini-tulip table, and that crazy lamp in the back. All of those pieces look great with that rug; I feel like all I ever see them with lately is white shag or worse, cowhide:

…I also love this desk lamp. (P.S. That actor will ALWAYS be the guy who wanted to pee on Carrie Bradshaw to me, no matter what else he does!)

Here’s a better shot of Don’s entire office. Check out that awesome wastebasket on legs. I wonder if the set designer shopped at Victory Vintage:

Here are the random commie pinko* Bohemians that “get high and listen to Miles,” paint, perform beat poetry, and live in Greenwich Village:

Here’s that zebra wallpaper place I keep thinking about. Mmm, Pina Coloda? Mai Tai? What an elaborate drink!

Hopefully the sets alone convinced you to figure out which channel AMC is on your remote. God knows I had no idea before Mad Men. Hurry up! You can catch up On Demand right now. I really need to find another person who watches it to chat about it with!

all photos from amc.com

*had to throw in “commie pinko” to make my dad laugh. He still loves to say it, especially when describing certain East Coast newspapers and he’s allowed, because he was in ‘Nam.

1. L says:

July 29th, 2008 at 6:47 am (#)

Design Star?

July 29th, 2008 at 7:36 am (#)

Hi, if you are asking where is the discussion of design star on decor8, holly hasn’t put it up yet on the new site. Otherwise I’m not sure what your comment means. Please expand :)

becky

3. kitpollard says:

July 30th, 2008 at 12:55 pm (#)

Funny – I wrote a post about Mad Men, too. I had to somehow make it about food, of course, since that’s what my blog’s supposed to be about…but it was at least 1/3 about the aesthetics, including links to several of those pictures.

I think I would wallpaper my living room with that zebra paper if I could. Or maybe a bathroom. I love it.

The show is just SO. GOOD.

July 31st, 2008 at 12:43 pm (#)

Kit, aren’t the restuarants and bars the greatest sets on that show? I couldn’t sift through enough pictures to find the place that Betty, Roger, Don and Mrs. Roger ate, but I was so obsessed w/ it I tried to take pictures of the television!

5. Matthew Corbin says:

August 14th, 2008 at 10:16 am (#)

does any one know where i can get that zebra wallpaper it is perfect

LyrikeLL1@aol.com

August 14th, 2008 at 12:26 pm (#)

I wish I knew, it is completely to die for, and the picture does not even do it justice. It’s much better in HD! :) Anyone know where to find it?

7. Penny says:

November 12th, 2008 at 1:47 pm (#)

Hey I saw the Eve Zeisal set during a meeting in the office! It is amazing the stuff they have for the sets, I love it! I keep seeing things from my grandma’s kitchen and her living room.

8. Hatch: The Design Public ® Blog » Blog Archive » Favorite Brick-and-Mortar Stores: City Issue says:

December 19th, 2008 at 10:13 am (#)

[...] Issue will definitly help to fill it. Filled with Mid-Century Modern pieces, the set decorator for Mad Men could completely outfit offices of Sterling and Cooper from this store. It was the first time [...]

9. At Home with Kim Vallee says:

January 24th, 2009 at 4:18 pm (#)

I just started watching the show. Yesterday, we saw the Bohemian scenes. I love Mad Men.

10. Hatch: The Design Public ® Blog » Blog Archive » Revolutionary Road Sets says:

February 25th, 2009 at 1:28 am (#)

[...] funny, though this movie takes place a few years before Mad Men, it’s uncanny how similar the Wheeler and the Draper home sets are, and how much the decor [...]

11. Sydney Bristow says:

August 27th, 2009 at 9:19 am (#)

…”I am nuts for this headboard in Betty and Don’s room, where the magic never really happens…”

Well…if you’d like to make believe you are lying next to Don Draper:

It’s the next best thing :-)

SB