Friday, June 27th, 2008

Thrifting/Antiquing in Atlanta

9 Comments » | Published in Eclectic Style, Thrift Shopping, Vintage Modern  |  9 Comments

Yesterday I went to drop off a trunkful of donations after a massive closet clean out.  After I do this, I let myself hit some of my favorite shops on the Chamblee antiques row.  Here are the two items vying for the most bizarre find award:

A giant teacup from a diner in Florida:

Or this, for which I simply don’t have the words, besides, perhaps, only in Georgia:

By the way, both of these antique stores were full of amazing finds. A small taste of the modern furniture at this place:

In addition to the teacup, they had this oblong tulip table and chairs, Martinsville chests, a fab plaid Jens loveseat, and barstools that look like they came from Mars:

The place with the goat who can drive a tractor has a gazillion signs, old tins, vintage magazines and much more:

This is half of “GUILDED CAGE”:

The consignment shop called My Sister’s Closet is always good for collectibles. I scooped up a McCoy planter and a few fun books:

(I’ve already marked all the pages that I want to share with you all, that’s what the little white pieces of paper are. I’ve got some scanning to do later!).

I’ll give you the details on where exactly to go when in Chamblee a little later. Right now the Neiman Marcus Last Call Outlet Sale is calling my name, and it wants me to get there before Friday traffic.

1. Queen of Fifty Cents says:

June 27th, 2008 at 9:50 am (#)

I vote for the tractor driving goat. Big stuff I’ve seen before (okay, admittedly not a teacup this size!) but I have never seen a tractor driving goat. I want it!

2. Tracey says:

June 27th, 2008 at 10:44 am (#)

the teacup i could actually see as an outrageous spa/hottub. The tractor with the donkey (not even sure of the type of animal) needs to stay in Georgia! Love the large letter signs!

June 29th, 2008 at 9:03 am (#)

Tracey, the hot tub idea reminds me of those champagne glass “romantic” jacuzzis in the Poconos! The teacup is just so very Alice and Wonderland to me – in the Tom Petty video “Don’t Come Around Here No More” kind of way!

4. Ali says:

June 30th, 2008 at 3:15 pm (#)

I actually just saw a teacup hot tub in Switzerland!! Funny how everything circles back. Here is a photo (scroll down to the middle of the post): http://www.coopercarras.com/blog/2008/06/18/lausanne-switzerland/

June 30th, 2008 at 3:42 pm (#)

Ali, I am SOOO jealous that you were in Switzerland! That teacup is hilarious! Those photographs of the trip are amazing.

6. Marian says:

July 1st, 2008 at 10:00 am (#)

I cannot believe I just found this blog!! I’m an Atlanta blogger too, and Chamblee Antiques Row is one of my favorite places to go too for thrifting and antiquing too! My Favorite Place and Treasure Mart nearby are can’t miss spots as well. I don’t think I’ve been to the goat driving tractor place though — where is that? anyway, I recently started a blog just for vintage housewares if you’re interested in dropping by. you can check it out at pastpresentsshop.blogspot.com. take care!

July 1st, 2008 at 10:39 am (#)

Hi Marian! I plan on doing another follow up post with a guide, and Scavanger Hunt and My Favorite Place are on the list as the junkiest places to find a treasure. I don’t know Treasure Mart – which one is that?

The goat tractor place – gosh, I don’t know street names – if you are coming from the Marta station, go straight through the stopsign in the middle of antiques row and go another block or two – you can’t miss it, it’s on the left and it’s the big barn with all of the signs in the front. I have no idea what it’s called!

8. Meghan says:

October 29th, 2008 at 10:27 am (#)

That antique store looks AMAZING!!!!

October 29th, 2008 at 10:38 am (#)

Meghan, your blog is amazing! I just laughed out loud at the part about furniture guy buying blue fleece footie adult PJs!