Monday, March 3rd, 2008

Albert Hadley

7 Comments » | Published in Design Books, Design Press, Hollywood Regency, Interior Designers, Vintage Looks, Yellow  |  7 Comments

hadley-bw.jpgLast Thursday I was out at one of my favorite shops, Armour and Co., and my parents very generously bought me Albert Hadley: The Story of America’s Preeminent Designer by Adam Lewis.  This book is pricey (though you can pick it up at amazon for about $40 right now), but it is one every interior design book collection must have.  The sketches, prints, and photographs are absolutely amazing, and the stories told by Hadley to Lewis are charming.  One of the most amazing things about Hadley’s work is that it is so classic and timeless.  The only giveaways that date the photos of the older rooms are a grainy quality of print or an outdated television set.   The man does love to throw in a zebra rug wherever possible, but he makes it work!

hadley-naples-house.jpg

hadley-sketch.jpg

hadley-tray.jpg

hadley-bedroom.jpg

all photos scanned from the abovementioned book.

1. franki durbin says:

March 4th, 2008 at 6:02 pm (#)

becky, becky, becky… can’t you see my bookshelves are already full? ;) Looks like it’s another one to add to my list of must-haves. NICE acquisition!

2. susan says:

March 5th, 2008 at 7:07 pm (#)

Good finds. I LOVE looking back to see where we’ve come from. I think the design era of the late 50s/early 60s became classic as soon as it was born. Most of it, anyway!

3. victoria says:

March 6th, 2008 at 7:08 pm (#)

oh no! i must get this book. i was lucky enough to produce a photo shoot with Mr. Hadley (don’t call him Albert!) for domino. Look how great he looks and he is 92!!

4. victoria says:

March 6th, 2008 at 7:09 pm (#)

oh sorry – click on the littl domino magazine icon to see Mr. Hadley – and his zebra rug!!

March 7th, 2008 at 9:31 am (#)

Hi Ladies! I’m telling you, this one will give you a real bang for the buck – it’s a must in every interior design library! I promise it’s worth it!

Victoria, I LOOOOOOVE that image, it’s amazing! I cannot believe he is 92! Everyone, be sure to click on Victoria’s link and then click on the Domino icon once the page loads!

6. Mia and Maggie says:

March 16th, 2008 at 7:00 pm (#)

Totally getting this book, it should be a must have for product designers too! All designers need to take cues from fields of design other than their specialty. Thanks for the recommendation. By the way, I love your site!

7. Hatch: The Design Public® Blog » Blog Archive » Hollywood Regency 102: Billy Baldwin Remembers says:

April 15th, 2008 at 7:19 am (#)

[...] If you liked this post, you may want to check out Hollywood Regency 101 and/or a contemporary of Baldwin’s, Albert Hadley. [...]