Monday, February 4th, 2008

Design Drinking Games – Helmut Newton on a Music Stand

5 Comments » | Published in Design Drinking Games, Design Magazines, Design Press  |  5 Comments

What’s the same about these two pictures?:

newton-met-home-nov-2.jpg

newton-met-home-one.jpg

I had to laugh as I looked through last month’s Metropolitan Home.  Apparently the new item du jour is the Helmut Newton book on a music stand.  These two layouts were only a few pages apart in the same issue.  I think the top photo will probably win in terms of the number of trendy objects:  we have some horny legs on a stool as well as a Barcelona daybed all in one room.  Though if we could see the books in the second photo, it might win out – certainly the Tom Ford book is in those shelves somewhere! Met Home,  I generally love you anyway, this just gave me a chuckle like seeing the same flower arrangement over and over again in the same issue does!

1. Erik Johnson says:

February 4th, 2008 at 7:35 am (#)

Hello again,

The interior designer on this project brought the Helmut Newton book as a potential prop. I stuck it in this photo because we needed something on the left side of the picture. Who knew it was being photographed somewhere else for the same issue. I think only 1500 copies of this book was ever printed?

Erik Johnson (the photographer of ‘Lori’s Law of Order)

February 4th, 2008 at 2:44 pm (#)

Erik, what a small world! If it wasn’t the same interior decorator, it’s quite a coincidence. I had no idea that so few copies of the book even existed when I wrote the post. That’s rather amazing to me!

Thanks for sharing!

becky

3. sally says:

February 5th, 2008 at 7:27 pm (#)

Becky,

When I saw the pictures I didn’t really read the title of the post and all I could think of was “man, Becky should add this to her design drinking games.”

!!

4. Stratos says:

February 12th, 2008 at 2:24 am (#)

I do not think the Barcelona day bed is trendy… it is a timeless elegant piece of furniture and always enjoye seeing it in various homes. As for the Tom Ford book… I have it too!!! And it is prominently displayed in my IKEA Expedit bookcase, having a partition all on its own! Ha ha.

That Helmut Newton book (Sumo) is one huge mamma of a book…

February 12th, 2008 at 7:23 am (#)

Hey Stratos, not “trendy” per se, but ubiquitous, or seeming to be a requirement in every modern lover’s home.