Thursday, January 10th, 2008

Patience is a Decorating Virtue

7 Comments » | Published in Decorating Modern, Stores, Vintage Looks, Vintage Modern  |  7 Comments

dscn7822.jpg

When you need an item for your house, do you search and search non-stop until you find it?  Or do you simply keep an eye open, knowing that the right thing will cross your path eventually but you can’t push it?  I’m in the latter group.  Two days ago, I splurged on some tulips at the grocery.  The only vase they really fit in was this old metal coffeepot with a wooden handle.  A few hours later, my new dining room chairs arrived.  They are even better in person, and I love the way they look with the wood table my great great grandfather made.  It was like the coffee pot and the tulips knew they were coming and urged me to put them on top before they arrived.

dscn7823.jpg

oops, obviously I got too excited about taking the picture and missed a tag – tacky!

I have to give major props to decorators who can throw a room together in a short time frame.  I have to be patient – my dining room has been without proper chairs for almost two years, but it was worth the wait!  Now if I could just find the perfect light fixture (over the tulips, wires have been hanging from the ceiling for 2 years)…do you guys have any suggestions?  I don’t want a drum shade or a chandelier.  Perhaps a lantern, or ideally, one of those amazing fixtures from South of Market, you know, where they turn a French trash can or basket into some awesome and unique light fixture and charge $2,000 for it?  I need the cheap version of that!

1. Ellie says:

January 10th, 2008 at 12:17 pm (#)

Your chairs look amazing. I think I saw a multicolored version last night in Amy Sedaris’ character’s house on Monk and now today, they are magical.

January 10th, 2008 at 2:08 pm (#)

OH my gosh, Amy Sedaris is on Monk? I’ll have to start watching, I love her!

PS Thanks Ellie!

3. alisha says:

January 10th, 2008 at 3:27 pm (#)

I have been looking at those same chairs for a year for my Saarinen tulip table. Do you love them? Where did you get them?

January 10th, 2008 at 4:11 pm (#)

I am totally in love with them, they are even better in person. Shhh, don’t tell anyone at design public, I got them in the Sundance catalog. They are a 1934 bistro chair design, made by the original manufacturer. The other chairs I have been thinking about for awhile were the Emeco chairs we have at D.P. They were also designed decades ago and look better than ever today.

5. John says:

January 10th, 2008 at 6:32 pm (#)

Are those the same as the Marais AC chairs as DWR sells? Regardless, I love them.

January 10th, 2008 at 10:03 pm (#)

They look exactly the same. There is a stamp on the back of each Sundance one that says “TOLIX.” DWR has better copy describing theirs (what else is new, they are great at that, IMHO).

These are made in France. Sundance is cheaper – $195 for one or $375 for two. DWR usually has them at $250, but I noticed the gunmetal gray are on sale for $200 each right now. They both say 1934 and they both say they are made by the original designer. Apparently this chair was quite ubiquitous back in the day as a sturdy chair for bistros. Also, in terms of the paint jobs, while both places have red and the gunmetal steel, DWR has a DARLING bright yellow, and Sundance has a very muted green.

7. susan says:

January 11th, 2008 at 1:43 am (#)

Wow, a fantastic look! I KNOW the universe puts things in context with one another just when they’re needed! I can see a modern lighting fixture from Le Klint http://www.leklint.dk/default.asp?id=30&prevref=2&cid=3 or from normann copenhagen http://www.normann-copenhagen.com/the1.html especially since you already have white panels. It looks great!