Wednesday, December 5th, 2007

Shame on AT&T

5 Comments » | Published in Green Design, Technology  |  5 Comments

zack.jpgSo yesterday I went and invested in an iPhone. I hope I can keep it dry, because it’s the coolest thing ever, and I’m not even much of a gadget girl and I’m really really not much of a cellphone person.  There is literally no instruction manual reading required – man I love Apple.   Why do people EVER buy anything else?  Anyway, I should probably stop throwing water bottles into my purse.

So at the AT&T store, I had my old phone there, naively hoping that someone could take out the old SIM card and save me from having to track down all of my friends’ numbers, but that was just plain silly – of course they were not going to offer any additional aid besides taking my money.

I asked if they could recycle my old drowned phone, and they said no but then yes, they had a program that donates them to soldiers. I said that’s great, but I don’t think a soldier is going to want an old drowned phone that doesn’t work, what I meant was do they recycle cellphones for the environment, and they manager said with authority and a tone that implied “what a silly crunchy hippie cracker-ass-cracker you are,” “No, we do not recycle for the environment.” For shame.  Random places all over the place like the spa where I get massages has a cell phone recycle box, I mean, how hard can it be for a cell phone store to provide that for people. Shame AT&T, shame!

Photo is from a website that is actually called zackmorrisphone.com.  These crazy kids today!

1. Jeff Kaiser says:

December 7th, 2007 at 7:26 am (#)

A great alternative is http://www.charitablerecycling.com. You receive a free postage-paid shipping label and the company makes a contribution to the chairty of your choice for every phone you send them.

We used them for a church fundraiser. They have an ISO14001 registration and clear the data from every device sent. They also recycle the batteries and everything else you send them, nothing goes into the dumpster. We thought their, simple,safe and smart way of recycling was right for us.

We used the money to fund a new playground, where we used as many recycled products as possible, including the mulch.

You can recycle from the comfort of your won home this way.

December 7th, 2007 at 2:46 pm (#)

Thanks for the tip Jeff. I wound up tossing mine at the salon yesterday. I noticed the coffeeshop had one as well. Kinda funny that the AT&T store doesn’t!

3. Ching says:

December 20th, 2007 at 10:55 am (#)

Shame on AT&T
    I just came to USA on Aug. and applied a cell phone from AT&T’s agent impact communication. I paid 1000 deposit because I did not have SSN. Then I signed up a plan of 69.99 with impact communication. When I received my first month bill, I found I did not use Internet services but AT&T charge some money from internet services. Therefore, I called them to ask them wave that money away, they did, at the same time they also found I did not use so many minutes in my plan, so they said I can downgrade to 59.99. Two days ago, I received a penalty from Impact communication; they asked me to pay $300 for my downgrade.
    Can you believe that? I just realized I need to pay 300 for my downgrade, but I only pay less $10 per month.
    It is really dirty business; they sold a telephone to customer if they required me to have a higher plan, AT&T need to monitor to their customer, right? Why they allow their customer to make a downgrade but their agent charge your downgrade? They cheat the customers….Now, I still need to pay $300, otherwise they told me they will send my penalty to a collection company. I even have no idea what a collection company mean. I thought I need to pay otherwise I will have trouble. Those companies are burglar.

4. Ching says:

December 20th, 2007 at 10:59 am (#)

At the same time, I really want to cancel the AT&T’s services, but I cannot because I cancel right now I need to pay $300+$300+$175+$175=950 for my cancellation. I cannot cancel that cheating services. I jsut knew this information when I received the penalty.

5. Mike says:

April 14th, 2009 at 9:11 am (#)

Here, here. At&t is horrible. Love your blog thank you for the posts. -chicago web design