Monday, October 15th, 2007

The Modern Log Cabin

8 Comments » | Published in Architecture, Design Magazines, Design Press, Design on the Web, Fresh New Design, Green Design  |  8 Comments

dz-befoe-after.jpg

I am so glad Cottage Living’s October digital issue has been posted.  I’ve been wanting to share this mind-blowing log cabin renovation with you ever since I received my print issue.  Cottage Living, like yours truly,  seems to know that Charlottesville Virginia is chock-full of talented architects and amazing dwellings – this is the fourth one I remember seeing featured in the magazine.  This one is THE BEST MIX OF OLD AND NEW MATERIALS I’VE EVER SEEN!  Architect Dan Zimmerman wanted a project of his own, and he certainly hit this one out of the park.  These pictures say a lot more than I possibly could in a description, so I’ll simply share them with you.   All photographs are by Erik Johnson for Cottage Living.

dz-lint2.jpg

dz-plexi.jpg

dz-bedroom.jpg

dz-bathroom.jpg

dz-bathroom.jpg

1. Dobbs Ferry says:

October 17th, 2007 at 3:47 am (#)

Please show the bathroom and kitchen! The magazine article refers to the bathroom and then leaves us hanging.

Also, details about the glass floor; how thick is it? What is important in terms of installing it (for safety reasons)? Is it hard to keep clean?

Thanks.

October 17th, 2007 at 7:56 am (#)

HI Dobbs! Hmmm, I’m not sure how to contact Dan, if he is a UVa alum or prof as most of the architects in town are, I can try my alumni online directory and see if he’ll share more. I’ll keep you posted!

3. Corey B. says:

November 22nd, 2007 at 6:14 pm (#)

Is there any way to get the dimesions of the property?

Very nice job, BTW!

CB.

November 23rd, 2007 at 8:00 am (#)

Hi CB, I don’t know. I never did wind up tracking this guy down (I thought we might be alums of the same arch. school at UVa, but then my access had changed to get into the HoosOnline thing, and then I dropped the ball!) As someone who lived in Charlottesville for 11 years, I am very curious to find out where the property is – real estate has gone nuts there since I left a few years ago.

5. Erik Johnson says:

January 11th, 2008 at 6:50 am (#)

Hello,

I photographed this cabin for Cottage Living. It is actually located in Winchester, Virginia. Dan’s Architectural Firm is in Charlottesville. Here is a link to his website. http://www.zimmermandesignbuild.com/

6. Hatch: The Design Public® Blog » Blog Archive » The Modern Log Cabin is on the Market! says:

January 16th, 2008 at 3:49 am (#)

[...] Living feature on the property) for giving me the head’s up on this.  Do you remember the beautiful modern log cabin I showed you a few months back?  Architect Dan Zimmerman has put it on the market.  I was [...]

7. Hatch: The Design Public ® Blog » Blog Archive » Modern House Real Estate - Hollin Hills Gem says:

June 25th, 2008 at 1:54 am (#)

[...] to Erik Johnson, one of my favorite photographers (I’ve swiped his work from magazines for posts in this blog quite a few times). I love that this home is clean and uncluttered, but not sparse. It reminds me a [...]

8. Gary Jenkins says:

August 10th, 2009 at 8:54 am (#)

Wow! I have a two story log cabin that I have wanted to remodel. I am not a designer, so I needed some inspiration. I never could find anything approaching the zen/modern look i wanted, so I just dropped it. Now I am reinspired. I have no idea how to get something like this done.