Contest Alert! If you’ve evolved beyond bare-bones milk crates, crappy plastic clippy lamps, and keg coffee tables, enter the Apartment Therapy and Housing Works My Dorm Room Rocks contest! From my own memories and from scoping out our site, I have a few suggestions and links:
1) Keep the hot pot cleaned out! I’ll never forget the nasty blob with the life all its own that grew in my roommate’s hot pot after she left Chef Boy-R-Dee remnants in it for a month or so!
2) Kegs are not furniture, and they get moldy as well.
3) Fatboys are back and better than ever. You probably don’t have a vacuum cleaner and you don’t want to get near your nasty floor, so strew some of these around for lounging.
4) Don’t drink and attempt to de-loft. Those things are pretty high off the ground.
5) Turn your extra-long single bed into a daybed by tossing a bunch of throw pillows on it.
6) Visit IKEAhacker for genius ideas on how to assemble your cheap finds in creative ways. For instance, look at this great space-saving idea:
7) Save yourself some end-of-the-year spackling by applying wall stickers for decoration.
8) Lighting is key. Flourescent and overhead lights will make those all-night paper writing jags even more uncomfortable.
9) Mobiles aren’t just for infants anymore:
dorm room photo by Dan Addison via virginia.edu
Hi, I'm Becky. I live in Atlanta. Besides acting as the Editorial Director here on Hatch, you can find me talking design over at Houzz. Make me happy — leave a comment!