Wednesday, June 27th, 2007

Modern Landscape Architecture Inspiration

6 Comments » | Published in Design on the Web, Design Press, Fresh New Design, Landscape Design  |  6 Comments

mvv-steps.png

Last week when I was writing my post about the ASLA green roof, I wound up getting sucked into Michael Van Valkenburgh Associates’ project gallery for about an hour or two. I’ve been dreaming of this spectacular image ever since. These sublime steps are from a project in Turtle Creek Texas, one where steep slopes dominate a one-acre site.

Here’s another thought-provoking image from the same project:

mvv-turle-creek.png

images from Michael Van Valkenburgh Associates Inc.

1. Hatch: The Design Public® Blog » Blog Archive » Modern Water says:

August 13th, 2007 at 4:24 pm (#)

[...] I can stay at for free if I earn a million more Neiman Marcus InCircle Rewards Points, and I think that cool Van Valkenburgh project was on Turtle Creek as well. This creek must be [...]

2. Cynthia says:

May 29th, 2008 at 10:37 am (#)

I think the second photo is really interesting in concept. I think it’s a maintenance nightmare- which is a significant and valid criticism of landscape architects. So often we’re interested in creating beautiful pictures that look great as still shots than functional landscapes that can retain their character well over time.

The second photo gets a thumbs up from me for form but a thumbs down for function.

May 29th, 2008 at 12:22 pm (#)

Cynthia, on the flip side, people who are not landscape architects seem to think there is such a thing as a zero maintenance landscape, and they are very very wrong, and thier ignorance is totally annoying. The budgets factored in for most public landscape projects are a total joke.

I think maintenance planning is certainly significant, but depends on the client. The gardens of Paris for instance – the country is committed to an amount of maintenance that American parks can not begin to comprehend. I would imagine this is client has the means to keep this maintained, and doesn’t mind paying to do so.

4. mary tyler moore says:

January 3rd, 2009 at 7:29 pm (#)

If anyone hires MVV and the firm, hopefully they would have some concept already that there is maintenance involved. The firm is not cheap…the best projects are living, 3-D art.

January 3rd, 2009 at 8:07 pm (#)

There really aren’t any built landscape projects that are “no maintenance.” People are total idiots about that. Landscape Architects are skilled professional designers with Masters Degrees and no one should expect them to come “cheap.” Especially ones who have taught at the Harvard GSD and won many awards.

January 3rd, 2009 at 8:08 pm (#)

Oh, too funny. I just responded to the most recent comment without looking at my previous comment, and realized I am a broken record.