Tuesday, March 27th, 2007

Trendy Design Objects Scavenger Hunt Drinking Game Part II

10 Comments » | Published in Decorating Modern, Design on the Web, Design Press  |  10 Comments

O.K. people, let me make clear, just because an object is listed here, you don’t have to burn it. I’m just saying it’s pervasive these days. Kind of like how when I was in college we used to go see Dave Matthews for $5 every Tuesday night at Trax with about 100 other people and now I have to share him with a millions of annoying people who have no manners at big huge concerts. Got it? This is not in the spirit of being mean or telling you that you are a trend ho. I am a total trend ho myself.

Here are some more objects we’ve been seeing all over the place lately, feel free to add your own, please don’t be offended if you have any of these, Lord knows I do too, yeah, big whoop, you’ve had it for years, you had it first, you started the trend – congrats, yadayadayada, the point is that all the sudden these things are spreading like wildfire! This week, because it’s spring, have a swig of gin and tonic whenever you flip through a magazine/peruse a blog and you see….

Chinese Stools:

via-decor8via-burnham-design.jpg

Moroccan Stools:

Anthropologie’s Astrid Chair (am I the only person who thinks that a lot of the fabrics, NOT this one, but some of the new ones everyone is blogging about, Josef Frank or not, are freakin hideous?). I think this is a fabulous chair, but yup, as over at Bluelines put it, it’s now the Ugg Boot of chairs:

Really though, I LOVE Anthropologie and most of their furniture and fabrics, I’m not hatin’, but PLEASE, let me know, am I the only person in the world who thinks this is the ugliest sofa in history? I would rather have the scratchy orange and plaid ’70’s sofa from Sears we had in college in my house that this thing. What am I missing here?:

and more BLEACH! Ugh…:

I feel like I’m the only blogger out there who missed the memo that these are fabulous. They seriously make me retch. Is something wrong with me? WHAT am I missing?

In all fairness, I must include my employer – Design Public offers this ubiquitous chair, seen on every TV reality show and just all over the place in general, the Vitra New Panton Chair:

These are two books you’ll see on a lot of coffee tables – anything by Dorothy Draper and anything with “Hip Hotels” in the title:

amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/Hip-Hotels-Atlas-Herbert-Ypma/dp/0500512485/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-1518043-1261711?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175030208&sr=1-1

Woods” Wallpaper by Cole and Son:

Got more? Keep ‘em coming! This is fun!
-Becky

Vessel Sink Picture from Kohler.com

Chinese Stool photo via decor8 via Burnham Designs

Moroccan Stool from WestElm.com

Astrid Chair and Josef Frank Sofa Photos via Anthropologie

Book Cover Photos from amazon.com

“Woods” photo from Cole and Son

1. Audrey says:

March 27th, 2007 at 2:10 pm (#)

I am with you on the Anthropologie sofas. I think they’re hoping you’ll buy excessive amounts of their pasty floral dresses and cover the print when you sit down.

March 27th, 2007 at 6:37 pm (#)

Audrey, I’m glad it’s not just me. I just don’t think those fabrics work on any sofa I would want in my house!

3. susan says:

March 27th, 2007 at 8:25 pm (#)

I’m with you on this ugly printed fabric for furniture. I’m glad to know i’m not the only one – thought I was losing my style mojo..

4. Kristiina says:

March 29th, 2007 at 9:41 am (#)

Sorry, I love the Josef Frank prints and the Marimekko patterns. They are definitely not for everyone and to decorate with them you really need to know what you are doing. Growing up in Scandinavia these crazy and bold patterns were the antidepressant against dark and gloomy winter we had to put up. I am sick of those mid century modern pieces and those 13 in dozen modern chrome leg sofas and wooden block leg dining tables. And talking about fad, glass mosaic tiles and square white sinks in bathroom.

March 29th, 2007 at 8:58 pm (#)

Hi Kristiina! first, don’t apologize! I love Josef Frank prints too, and I am a Marimekko fanatic – I have literally a closet and a dresser full of fabric full of bright, Isola-designed ‘mekko, I just need to learn how to sew :) . there is just something about these sofas that does not work for me, and I felt like the only person in the design blog world who was not loving them. I am actually in love with that chair and would have bought it if not for the hefty price tag – it simply inspired me to find a similar fabric for some of my vintage chairs that have bad upholstry jobs at the moment.

I also appreciate your comment about the dark and gloomy winter vs. the bright fabrics – it’s nice to hear that perspective about how Scandanavian design turned out so beautiful – I had not thought of that, though I did have a friend who did a year in Finland and just about died of depression when it was pitch black outside at 3 p.m. every day (not so different than New England – I always felt like I needed one of those anti-depressive miner’s hats like they have in Alaska to keep my sanity during the dark, short days of winter!).

Thanks for chiming in!

6. Brenda Anderson says:

April 1st, 2007 at 2:57 pm (#)

Becky,

You are spot-on with the chair. A bit over the top shall we say?

I’m new to this blog, and was just wondering…how does the Drinking Game come into play here?

Thanks,

Brenda

April 2nd, 2007 at 9:30 am (#)

Hi Brenda, and thanks for reading! It’s the brown Josef Frank anthropologie sofa that really kills me, and then I feel like I have no taste because everyone else is raving about it!

The drinking game aspect was kind of a joke because the first one of these I printed was around St. Patrick’s Day. Just as you’d drink every time Brenda was a bitch or Dylan was moody on Beverly Hills 90210, you’d drink every time you saw one of the items in a magazine or in a design blog.

8. Melanie says:

April 3rd, 2007 at 8:41 am (#)

LOL! I think that a LOT of what Anthropologie puts out will only look good in their store or on a waifish 16 yr. old but I still love to ogle it. I just referenced these couches on my blog in terms of them MAYBE not having a lot of longevity. Love the colors though!

9. jazz says:

November 5th, 2007 at 10:00 pm (#)

YES! You ARE the only the only blogger who thinks Josef Frank’s fabric designs featured at Anthropologie are yuck. The man is a genius. I encourage you research this brilliant artist. It’s called taste.

10. becky says:

November 6th, 2007 at 9:41 am (#)

Jazz, perhaps you should have read all the comments and processed them. Also, I believe you mean “good taste,” as just plain old “taste” would not really work in the snide, patronizing tone you are attempting to acheive. Good luck with all your bandwagon jumping future endeavors and unearned superior attitude (now you see, that was how snide works…).