Saturday, February 24th, 2007

Domino Magazine/Treehugger Green List

5 Comments » | Published in Design Magazines, Design Press, Green Design, Guides, In the Press, Other Blogs  |  5 Comments

Finally, someone has compiled a list of green resources all in one place. Domino partnered up with the eco-crusaders at Treehugger to bring such a list to the latest issue, and they’ve just informed me that it is available online.   Suffer through the always popping up “Subscribe Now!” annoyance – it’s worth it.
http://www.dominomag.com/magazine/2007/02/shalomharlowBy the way, I could swear that awhile back I noticed Domino asking its readers “do you prefer models on the cover or the homeowner?” I see that this month they made everybody happy by making the cover girl homeowner, supermodel and avid composter Shalom Harlow. Pretty Sneaky Sis!

photos from Treehugger.com and Dominomag.com

1. Julia Schopick says:

February 24th, 2007 at 10:14 am (#)

Since you are a fan of Treehugger.com’s, I hope you will want to check out the wonderful AUDIO INTERVIEW with Treehugger’s Simran Sethi, which can be found on The Keeper, Inc.’s website at http://www.keeper.com/sethi.html

Simran Sethi, who is fast becoming a shining “eco-star” (she has appeared on the Martha Stewart Show and the Oprah Show!), gave keeper.com a really informative and lively 25-minute audio interview, in which she tells all about TREEHUGGER.COM: its history, its goals, its contests, and its plans for the future. She also tells about some of her environmental “heroes” in this lively, compelling, interview.

It’s a “must-hear”!

The Keeper, Inc., by the way, is the manufacturer of the environment-friendly Keeper and Moon Cup reusable menstrual cups.

Hope you enjoy the interview — Simran is really excellent.

Julia Schopick

February 24th, 2007 at 12:44 pm (#)

Thanks Julia! I’ll be sure to check it out!

3. decor8 Holly says:

February 26th, 2007 at 10:55 am (#)

I have my own personal opinion about models and celebrities on shelter mags. In this case, it was perfectly acceptable, the model just so happens to own that space and be on the eco-bandwagon as well. It worked.

Domino does very well when it comes to this – they seem to almost always feature Domino home owners/apt dwellers on the cover. I think with all the other mags out there showing us the models and celebs on a steady basis, it’s refreshing to see that you don’t have to be a celeb to be a classy, attractive, apt/home dweller who has a real job in the real world. It makes the issue one that I can relate to because of this.

I would love to see Domino invite a male reader onto the cover, and show some man spaces. You know, men dens. Where the boys hang out. Women love men, at least most of us, so why not dedicate an issue to where Domino male readers hang. I know they’re out there, my male Domino reader pals confessed to me already. Let’s hear it for the boys sometime, you know?

Also, showcasing spaces from a solid mix of straight and gay male would be nice. I’d hate to see the issue further depress single girls in America with only gay spaces. Straight men have taste, too. So showing the spaces of both would be really fun. I wouldn’t mind sharing Domino with the boys for a month – and you know what – I think their male readers deserve a little attention.

I’d love to see them do a cover with a hunk of a guyin the foreground, looking at the camera, lounging against a cool chair or something, and in the background, his wife on the phone or cooking dinner. He would wear this “cat that ate the canary” smile, like “I’m the decorator in THIS household” and she’d be only a blur in the background – showing that the man in the home may sometimes be the one who can and does make decorating decisions because the wife/sig other may be a total non-creative.

Wouldn’t that rock?!?

Holly

February 26th, 2007 at 1:50 pm (#)

Hey Holly!

I think the one time they had a male pad on the cover (I want to say it was Miles Redd’s assistant’s apartment?), they used a model. I had never realized they used models on the cover instead of the homeowner, and I’m wondering if that was the one time that they did. Every home owner they have had is totally cute and stylish, once they had the actress Ione Skye (I LOVED her house!).

I like your male idea. But I think the wife in the background should be paying the bills at the computer, and he should be the one who handles the pots and pans :)

5. decor8 Holly says:

February 26th, 2007 at 6:21 pm (#)

Or… He should be knitting and she should be teaching the children biochemistry.