Monday, June 20th, 2005

The Vespa As Fresh New Design

DesignPublic.com

Posted by DesignPublic.com | View all posts by DesignPublic.com
7 Comments » | Published in Slideshows  |  7 Comments

This past weekend over one hundred Vespa scooters descended on San Francisco for Scooter Rage 19 — the biggest Vespa rally this year west of the Mississippi. I attended with my old 1961 VBB 150 scoot and a D70 camera.

Once you’ve watched the show below, check out this vintage commercial.

Tips

Space Bar: This will make the slideshow play on it’s own (Autoplay mode). Hit it again to Pause
Left arrow: Load previous image
Right arrow: Load next image
G: Open/close gallery interface
Bonus tip: Mouse over the numbers to view an image preview!

About DesignPublic.com

Filed under Slideshows  |  7 Comments

1. Alias says:

June 21st, 2005 at 7:27 am (#)

“Sneers” from purists? not if they knew who they were talking to. I’ll never forget those ten days in ’67 we went through that serious “hand to hand” with the short knives outside of the Mekong Delta.

2. Design Public Blog » Blog Archive » New slideshow: Vespas as Fresh New Design says:

June 21st, 2005 at 11:16 am (#)

[…] WeekSlideshows Select Month: June 2005 May 2005 « The Vespa As Fresh New Design New slideshow: Vespas as Fres […]

3. Mario says:

June 21st, 2005 at 1:11 pm (#)

Miss this year’s Rage…regret it. Love that “road guard” shot. i’ll try to make to the 1st annual SF Rally in Aug.

4. Kate Dana says:

June 21st, 2005 at 9:28 pm (#)

Drew it was great to meet you this weekend. The slideshow rules, especially the one about bringing your Vespa inside as room decor; our 1964 VNB. lived in our dining room for an entire Winter in Baltimore. Good times! Cheers, Kate Dana

5. Drew says:

June 22nd, 2005 at 10:34 am (#)

Kate — great meeting you and your husband too! (FYI he’s the guy to the left in slide #31) Although sorry to disappoint, that isn’t my Vespa inside my place . . . it’s a Vespa indoors at the SF Motorcycle and Scooter Center in front of the DJ booth. Although I have seen the “Vespa as decor” done effectively — I’d place mine at the end of my bed, although my second floor walk-up makes this close to impossible.

6. Sandy Lucas says:

November 22nd, 2005 at 10:16 am (#)

Drew-
    Doing some research on getting a Vespa from Vietnam. Have heard horror stories but you seem to like yours. Can you tell me who/where you bought it from? Are you still happy with it? Any advice would be appreciated. This would be my first scooter.

Cheers,
    Sandy

7. Drew says:

November 23rd, 2005 at 11:13 am (#)

Not sure I’d recommend it — I had to swap out the engine, the brakes, and both tires. It looks mint, but the thing was being held together with clothespins and twine inside.