At this point, Sina and Drew are gabbing with designers so much that Matt and I get into a debate about what is the new bent ply. Felt? Concrete? Resin? Bent Bamboo? This leads to a quick summary of our ICFF experience:
- Felt is the new Suede
- Unbent Bamboo is the New Bent Ply (by the way, itâ€™s great to see a material that spreads and takes over more quickly than kudzu being used so beautifully).
- Modern Kids are the New Design Connoisseurs. Some of the new modern baby and kid stuff is so phenomenal that I was wishing I was still in a crib.
- Flat Pak Homes are the New Double-wides. Blu Dot founder Charlie Lazor’s flat-pack house is amazing. As an added bonus they were giving out free Starburst Fruit Chews, so I kept going back.
- Lime Green is the New Orange
- Alliums are the New Lucky Bamboo
- Concrete is the New Granite
- Carpet Tiles are the New Linoleum
- Rubber and Astroturf are the New Wallpaper
- but, Wallpaper is Cool Again.
- Design Public is the new Edge*Modern
Also, cool architect specs are over the tipping point. They will soon be as hip as trucker hats, as in not hip at all.
Hi, I'm Becky. I live in Atlanta. Besides acting as the "Editorial Director" here on Hatch, you can find me spewing lots of design opinions and tips over at Houzz. Make me happy -- leave a comment!